Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   Would you keep a non-performer? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/13686-performer.html)

Ross 07-16-2008 02:49 PM

Would you keep a non-performer?

This is (I hope) a poll to see how many would go ahead and keep those orchids that are basically non-performers (in other words, have never bloomed or bloom so rarely you wonder why you go to the trouble.)

I basically of am the opinion that plants are inanimate beings that either perform or not. Not the same as with pets. So if I choose to devote a space to a plant that is wimpy or chooses not to bloom, not to grow, not to do anything but just exist, should I keep it? My vote is for no. What's yours?

Lagoon 07-16-2008 02:55 PM

Ross,

I dumped a few catts, couple of smallish paphs, non bloomers, slow lousy growers - Not worth the space and time, Forget it!
I do a spring cleaning every year, I always find 1 ot 2 to make the list.

Ross .... you know, It's Thrive or Die:evil: :biggrin:

shakkai 07-16-2008 03:44 PM

I tend to always live in hope... but, like in all things, I guess it all depends. If it is something that I know isn't suited to the conditions that I can provide, then its probably tantamount to torture to try to prolong the agony of the poor plant - so off it goes to somewhere it will like better. But if its something that should be happy, then I try to find its 'happy spot' and will keep it around in the hopes that things will improve.

addictedcountryman 07-16-2008 04:31 PM

wow i must really be perverted. i thought this was a survery about people in bed. sheesh :blushing: but actually, i would keep nonperformers unless i exhausted every possible way... asking the OB, asking my local orchid society, etc. Even after then, I would probably give them away in hopes someone would have better luck than i do.

Soonix 07-16-2008 09:12 PM

Lagoon and all the "dumpers" you can all send the non performers my way. :bua: Can't stand to give/sell "ANY" plants let alone throw any plants out.

Andrew 07-16-2008 09:31 PM

While I voted to dump non performers it really depends. For a run of the mill hybrid I'd probably dump it. If we take the view that hybridisation is about improving on the parents there's probably not a lot of incentive in keeping a dud. For species, I tend to be inclined to persist, especially if I think the poor performance may be related to the nature of the species rather than the quality of the plant. Pterostylis truncata for example usually flowers poorly in cultivation as well as in the wild. I still grow it despite getting few-no flowers each year as that's the nature of the species.

As a caution against dumping a plant before you understand why it's not performing, until about a year ago my worst performer was Pterygodium catholicum. When I bought it is was mislabelled as the wrong genus and of unknown species which made figuring out what was wrong with it a challenge. It multiplied like a weed but never flowered in the 5 years I had it. It was long due for the compost heap and in a last ditch effort I stored the tubers with banana skins over summer, which is a technique used to get many fire dependant Australian orchids to flower. This was the result. I was finally able to ID it and, as it's a fire dependant species, I realised why it wasn't flowering. :roll:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...terygodium.jpg

OK so the down side is that it stinks to high heaven but it certainly redeemed itself.

Leisurely 07-16-2008 09:39 PM

If the plant were healthy and I was not cramped for space I would keep it. If space were an issue, I would trash it for a plant that would reward me for my efforts.

Shirley 07-16-2008 09:43 PM

Banana skins!! Now that's certainly a novel idea and worth a try. I'm probably one of the champion non-dumpers -- I really hate to give up on anything but, like Abby, I tend to give them to someone that I feel might have better luck. When they seem to be beyond redemption, into the trash they go! If the plants appear healthy but just won't bloom for me, then I would probably sell or trade. :)

Roly0217 07-16-2008 09:51 PM

To those of you who doesn't want the non performers and are going to get rid of them send them my way !!!!:) :) I'll be more than happy to care for them. After all I rescue almost dying Phals and make them grow again. So if there are any on your list just let me know.:waving

Dorothy 07-16-2008 09:58 PM

:rofl: at what Abby said about people in bed
I would keep it and if all else fails .. give it to someone hoping it may perform for them ..
:coverlaugh:
I didn't vote yet .. so would dumping it mean give it to someone else :scratchhead: