Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Semi-Hydroponic Culture (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/semi-hydroponic-culture/)
-   -   Algae growing in S/H medium (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/semi-hydroponic-culture/11730-algae-growing-medium.html)

Ranchnanny 05-17-2008 03:03 PM

Algae growing in S/H medium

:hello I have all my orchids in S/H medium and some of the containers are showing signs of algae growing towards the bottom. Two containers outside the orchidarium and a few inside the orchidarium. What can I wash through to get rid of it?

:_( Sheridan

Des 05-17-2008 03:12 PM

Sheridan , I have never found algae in my pots to be a problem , it does not seem to affect the growth of my plants . It would be interesting to read if anyone has had problems.

Ranchnanny 05-17-2008 03:51 PM

Thanks Des it just looks yukky.

Sheridan

Chubidubi 05-17-2008 05:22 PM

Since I live in a very hot/humid island most of the pots, even the wooden baskets have some algae. :twocents: I personally think that it gives them some character :blushing:

Ranchnanny 05-17-2008 05:28 PM

Thanks Wanda :biggrin: as long as it doesn't interfer with the orchids growth. BTW where in Puerto Rico do you live? My dad was born in San Juan and most of my relatives came from Spain via Puerto Rico way back when. :biggrin:

TTFN - Sheridan :waving

Chubidubi 05-17-2008 05:33 PM

I live in San German which is on the other side of the island.

orchidjunky 07-12-2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranchnanny (Post 108489)
Thanks Wanda :biggrin: as long as it doesn't interfer with the orchids growth. BTW where in Puerto Rico do you live? My dad was born in San Juan and most of my relatives came from Spain via Puerto Rico way back when. :biggrin:

TTFN - Sheridan :waving

Just curious if you decided to leave the algae or get rid of it? I'm too lazy to get rid of it and I think i'll leave it alone unless it plugs up the holes! but yeah did you leave it... and if so did u notice any problems with your orchid growth?

Becky15349 07-12-2008 01:53 PM

:waving Hey all! I'm new here, but I'm a S&H nut, so I just thought I'd chime in....the algae in my pots grosses me out too, but frankly, the stuff you'd have to use (Physan or something similar) to get rid of it is pretty gross too, not to mention toxic...so I opted to let me algae kinda do its thing :-) I agree tho - its nasty!!! The plants don't seem to be effected by it though - so its all good.

Snowden 07-12-2008 02:33 PM

I've got algae in all of my pots. I just ignore it and remind myself that it's just another plant I'm cultivating... and rather well at that!

orchidjunky 07-12-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky15349 (Post 124708)
:waving Hey all! I'm new here, but I'm a S&H nut, so I just thought I'd chime in....the algae in my pots grosses me out too, but frankly, the stuff you'd have to use (Physan or something similar) to get rid of it is pretty gross too, not to mention toxic...so I opted to let me algae kinda do its thing :-) I agree tho - its nasty!!! The plants don't seem to be effected by it though - so its all good.

Thats good to hear.. i keep reading that it's purely an aesthetic issue and will not harm the orchid... so i guess i won't use my physan! I just don't want the algae to be putting any harmful waste products in the reservoir.. but i've also read that they can be beneficial?? though i wonder if thats true and why?