Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   This is a TEST (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/11497-test.html)

BikerDoc5968 05-10-2008 01:34 PM

This is a TEST

Here is a test for all to take. I don't know the correct answer...'cause if I did, I wouldn't be asking this test question :scratchhead: :hmm

BikerDoc has several paphs and phrags in his GH. He has many more phals than paphs and phrags, but far less cym, and catts....oh and dogs. There are some other things growing in the GH like milt, and lycaste and den...and stuff. As the temperature in the GH goes up should he

a) Make sure the humidity goes up accordingly until the inside of the GH feels like a Brazilian rain forest

b) Allow the humidty to fall sometimes as low as 30% because the exhaust fan is sucking everything out

c) None of the above. He should return to his comfy lounge chair in the shade of his 150 year old oak tree and continue enjoying the birds and squirrels frolick in the backyard as he consumes another cerveza

Ross 05-10-2008 02:12 PM

I vote C. Am I right? Seems to me A and B are counter. You have to do one or the other, right? :scratchhead: I would tend to opt for the cooling ventilation since I have found humidity to not be an issue to growing and blooming these guys (at least the genera you mention). I still like option C since it a) involves no extra work and b) has special rewards :drool: :biggrin:

whygreenberg 05-10-2008 02:20 PM

Maybe everyone will be able to give me some good advice on this, but I always thought that as temps rise, both humidity and air circulation should rise accordingly. :scratchhead:

But, if options A) & B) don't allow you the cervezas, I vote C) also. :biggrin:

cowboy51278 05-10-2008 02:25 PM

maybe you should sit in the greenhouse and ponder A and B for a little while longer.....I'll take over babysitting the wildlife and keep your lounge chair fluffy.....and leave the cerveza, I'll keep an eye on that too :)

Tropic 05-10-2008 04:08 PM

The only thing 'Brazilian' BikerDoc should think about is a brazilian hammock as he peacefully does C and relaxes ... eventually the worry of such factors like A & B will wear off and he can truly enjoy the second cold cerveza. Orchids sometimes welcome such climatic changes once it is for a short duration and not for many days ... that much beer will also be damaging to the hammock occupant.

Ross 05-10-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whygreenberg (Post 106492)
Maybe everyone will be able to give me some good advice on this, but I always thought that as temps rise, both humidity and air circulation should rise accordingly. :scratchhead:

But, if options A) & B) don't allow you the cervezas, I vote C) also. :biggrin:

Nope! For a given amount of moisture in the air, as temperature rises, relative humidity lowers. It's "relative humidity". Warm air holds more moisture, so a given amount of moisture, uses less space, so to speak. Air circulation has little to do with this. This is over simplifying things, but I think you get the picture :biggrin:

whygreenberg 05-10-2008 09:23 PM

Yep! Thanks, Ross. I guess what I was thinking was that, let's say you're in a dry environment and the temperature rises – you should add moisture to the air to counter the dry heat. And then separately, but related, the more moisture in the air, the more air circulation you want. Am I wrong about that?

(But, on the other hand, best is to not worry about it and imbibe instead. Can't be wrong about that.)

Ray 05-11-2008 08:20 AM

If you're using the air circulation for cooling, sure, but if you're thinking evaporative cooling, artificially increasing the humidity will counter that.

On the other hand, increasing the RH in hot weather (an issue I've never had ANYWHERE I have ever lived) will reduce the drying stress on the plants.

The best of both worlds, of course would be the use of some sort of evaporative cooler, which introduces cool air AND humidity simultaneously.

BikerDoc5968 05-11-2008 10:24 AM

Thanks to all for participation in this test...stay tuned for the next test... not sure when this will happen, since I have to recover from my alcoholic condition...could somebody help me get up from this chair...it seems I'm stuck. :rofl: My aim is to leave no orchid grower behind with their education :coverlaugh:

maitaman 05-11-2008 11:00 AM

If you've ever been in a Brazilian rain forest you know the temperature can sometimes seem quite cold. I spend a lot of time in rain and cloud forests here in Panama' and can tell you that a temperature rise accompanied with high humidity will make something grow very well indeed - fungus.
Keep the humidity high for phals and such, but cyps and phrags want wet and cool, not wet and hot.
As for the cerveza, I'll have a nice cold Balboa, por favor. Tambien un trago de Jose' Cuervo Especial tequila. Gracias