Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Outdoor Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/)
-   -   Byzantine Gladiolus (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/113784-byzantine-gladiolus.html)

Ray 04-18-2024 06:27 PM

Byzantine Gladiolus

1 Attachment(s)
I've seen these as I "flash by" on my way from Oak Island to Southport, and I have wanted to harvest them for year, but every spring, the county usually mows them down before I can.

That road is being widened and I knew they'd just be paved over, so I took my shovel and bucket and excavated the bulbs while cars and trucks raced at 60 mpg about 6 feet away.

Glad I did, as they are beautiful.

Louis_W 04-18-2024 09:17 PM

They are beautiful! What a dramatic wildflower!

PuiPuiMolcar 04-19-2024 01:21 AM

pretty! I wanted to grow these and watsonia along side but the nurseries around here have completely discontinued these bulbs

estación seca 04-19-2024 01:22 AM

Watsonias are considered wildly invasive pests in California. I don't know about this Glad.

WaterWitchin 04-19-2024 09:13 AM

Beautiful! What a wonderful save! And of course now I need to find some for the garden.

estación seca 04-19-2024 02:13 PM

Gladiolus byzantinus is a Mediterranean-climate, winter growing species. I don't know how it does in cold winter climates. It might be able to grow fast enough to complete its growth cycle before hot weather in a pot.

Many strains of Gladiolus dalenii, a summer-growing species, are hardy to Zone 7.

Ray 04-19-2024 02:59 PM

Winter growing?

Bulbs with green growth were dug and planted this time last year. Despite being pampered and “Kelpak-ed”, they completely crapped out by the end of June.

They emerged from the ground about 4 weeks ago.

estación seca 04-19-2024 03:43 PM

Yes, it's a Mediterranean climate winter-growing species in habitat, southern Italy eastward to the Caucasus. Many Mediterranean climate bulbs can figure out how to grow after the coldest parts of Winter have ended, and before Summer heat begins.

Here is a list of the Summer-growing Gladiolus.

If you ever have questions about any bulbs, start with the Wiki of the Pacific Bulb Society.

WaterWitchin 04-20-2024 07:53 AM

Had no idea where they originated, but I looked up their culture. And yup, still a have to lift in winter bulb here, so that's a nope for me. With the latest 2024 growing zone map, I moved from 6a to 6b and it's still not close enough to push the envelope.

dbarron 04-21-2024 05:08 AM

It works for me in z7a Arkansas as does dalenii. Leave one (some) out and see for you. I've had them for years and even with last year going down to a -12 plunge, they made it.