Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Semi-Hydroponic Culture (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/semi-hydroponic-culture/)
-   -   Rhyncholaelia digbyana grows like a weed but won't bloom (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/semi-hydroponic-culture/113584-rhyncholaelia-digbyana-grows-weed-wont-bloom.html)

Itr_hybrid 03-24-2024 01:45 PM

Rhyncholaelia digbyana grows like a weed but won't bloom

So I have these growing in a 12" diameter pot growing in semi hydro. They grow like a weed - there are probably 50-100 pseudobulbs / growths in the pot. They also appear to get enough light as they are tinged slightly red. However they will not bloom for me. I have had exactly one bloom.

I am wondering if these need a dry period or a temperature swing or something to trigger blooming. My catts these are with bloom regularly.

Culture:
- Semi Hydro
- Watered weekly with Reverse osmosis and K-lyte
- High intensity LEDs (P600 Watt Platinum LED) on for 12 hours a day.

Happy to provide pictures if helpful.

Would love any advice

Louis_W 03-24-2024 03:47 PM

I for one would love to see a photo of that!

My only idea would be to up the light even more. The photo might help with that.

Itr_hybrid 03-25-2024 10:24 AM

Photos for reference

2 Attachment(s)
Photos as requested!

Fairorchids 03-25-2024 05:38 PM

Can't see the photos, but I 2nd the motion: Higher Light.

I grow mine hanging as high as possible in the greenhouse (and it blooms up to 4 times a year).

jtrmd 04-19-2024 01:20 PM

definitely higher light.

Dusty Ol' Man 04-19-2024 01:45 PM

I have to agree you need to up the light quite a bit. The leaves should lighten up a few shades and blooms should make a showing. Keep us updated.

WaterWitchin 04-20-2024 08:19 AM

There was another recent thread on this, and consensus was also HIGHER LIGHT. You have some nice lights there, but how far are they hanging from this plant? For flowering purposes, probably anything more than around 18-20" isn't close enough. I recently jumped down a rabbit hole for light conditions of digbyana after the other thread mentioned and found a chart showing how far a P600 Watt Platinum LED needed to be placed to achieve 3600 foot candles of light. Wish I could find that chart again. :roll:

I grow everything in SH, and approve of your container. :biggrin:

Louis_W 04-20-2024 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 1017470)

Me too! I have some cattleya in the same exact thing!

WaterWitchin 04-20-2024 12:08 PM

The Blue Bunny tub ice cream containers aren't bad either, although it isn't my favorite ice cream brand. Yet another thing my husband and grandkids are good for. :biggrin:

Louis_W 04-20-2024 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 1017470)

Me too! I have some cattleya in the same exact thing!