Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   Hello from Australia (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/113216-hello-australia.html)

Monbulk 01-20-2024 04:33 AM

Hello from Australia

Hello! I have been stalking this board for information so really happy to join. I am a total newbie to any orchids other than cymbidiums and Australian native dendrobiums which are the local "leave under a tree and forget about" type orchids here. I am in the cooler end of Australia in the hills outside Melbourne - we get a lot of rain and some frosts down to -4C (25 F) (just under freezing) on Winter nights, but hot dry summers (although not this year..).

Now I have a new addiction particularly to cool growing Dendrobiums and hopelessly in love with Cattleyas. I grow on an enclosed porch which will be warmer than outside but not sure of the minimum - maybe 5 degrees C (low 40s F). So the warmer growers will be coming in to a tea trolley in front of the window. Might be two tea trolleys.

Ray 01-20-2024 08:20 AM

Welcome. It sounds like you’re in good shape for the catts

Louis_W 01-20-2024 08:41 AM

Welcome!

There are definitely some members of the cattleya alliance that can take your low Temps! Certainly Laelia anceps and Cattleya purpurata. I grow bifoliate Cattleya, which are amazingly tolerant of temperature extremes. Mine have dropped to the mid 40s on occasion. If you could get that minimum up to 50 you could probably grow all but the hottest growing cattleya like C. dowiana.

I dont suppose you live out by the Dandenongs?

Roberta 01-20-2024 11:05 AM

Welcome!

I think that your temperature range is quite similar to mine. Check out my website (link in signature) to see what works for me in coastal southern California USA, (Index of Plants identifies what is outside vs. needing greenhouse) I grow mostly outdoors.

DeaC 01-20-2024 12:29 PM

Hi and welcome. You'll get excellent info here but on YouTube I've recently subscribed to "Hello Plant Lovers" with Mathew who lives in Melbourne and is fairly new at this game but has very good results in your climate. BTW, Australian Open is on my wish list!

estación seca 01-20-2024 01:06 PM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

rbarata 01-20-2024 01:39 PM

Welcome, Monbulk!:)
Definitely, Laelia anceps would be the right choice for you.

qbie 01-20-2024 04:31 PM

Hi! It's always been a dream of mine to visit your country!

I've also been watching Matthew's video's from your hometown. Never really grew anything besides Phals, and he grows several of the ones I got last summer.

I'm sure you will love it here. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. Welcome!

Monbulk 01-21-2024 06:04 AM

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Yes I am in the Dandenong Ranges with the tree ferns, beautiful but cold and wet in winter! I agree Matthew at Hello Plant Lovers on You Tube is a great resource for growing outside in similar conditions, I blame him for my addiction. And I bought a beautiful Laelia anceps which is described as one of the "next" orchids for beginners after cymbidiums, along with coelogyne cristata. Can't wait for it to flower, by then I should have worked out how to post photos!

Dusty Ol' Man 01-21-2024 07:57 AM

:welcomeflowers: