Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Cattleya is unhappy (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/112629-cattleya-unhappy.html)

SakuraDrops 09-26-2023 01:59 PM

Cattleya is unhappy

Hello all,
I won this cattleya in a raffle at my OS. When I first got it, the leaves were all green, and slightly limp. I have not repotted it or moved it at all in its original container. Since then, a couple of the leaves have turned yellow, one has fallen off today. Now I am really concerned about these spots forming on one of the leaves.

Please see pictures here: Anxious cattleya - Album on Imgur

Care:
Outdoors, under 95% shade cloth
Temperatures vary 85-95F, fans blowing on leaves
60% humidity
I water every other day, and it has been raining once a week since I got it. I haven't fertilized it yet, because I fertilize all my cattleyas on the first of each month.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

rbarata 09-26-2023 02:03 PM

I see a dehydrated plant. The leaf drop might be a consequence but, at the same time, it's an older leaf.

SakuraDrops 09-26-2023 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarata (Post 1009408)
I see a dehydrated plant. The leaf drop might be a consequence but, at the same time, it's an older leaf.

Thank you so much. I will up the watering.

greyblackfish 10-02-2023 01:03 AM

Could it be that the roots are no longer viable? Did you get it bareroot?

Louis_W 10-02-2023 01:33 AM

Do your other Cats bloom? 95% is a lot of shade...

SakuraDrops 10-02-2023 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyblackfish (Post 1009693)
Could it be that the roots are no longer viable? Did you get it bareroot?

I am not sure. I thought it was peculiar that the rhizome on the other half isn't showing at all, but nobody at my OS seemed to be bothered. I can try repotting it once I see new growth just to further troubleshoot. I will have to see how it looks after watering more for a month or so.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis_W (Post 1009694)
Do your other Cats bloom? 95% is a lot of shade...

I have never had my cattleyas bloom before, from my care. I just started taking care of cattleyas this year. These are transitioning from being inside for more than half the year, so i just wanted to be extra careful..Texas sun is really harsh. Some are sunburned already from the evening sun. However I am not sure if 95% shade is the right term..I think the clothe blocks certain rays. There is a VERY faint shadow over them if I place my hand over.

Here is a photo of how they are positioned: Outdoor cattleyas - Album on Imgur

You can see a little shadow on some just to give you an idea..is this still not enough light? I will have to push them for more sun, a bit after a month or so. If you have any advice on how to get them used to more sun I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

walkerdee 10-02-2023 08:54 AM

Question for cattleya experts here:

Is leca a good media for catts in a relatively hot climate??

It is my limited understanding that leca may not be the best choice for outdoor orchids in hot climates.

Fairorchids 10-02-2023 09:24 AM

LECA is fine, with an every other day watering schedule, provided that the plant had good roots going in.
What I see in the photos, is a plant with few (any?) live roots, so it is unable to uptake the water you provide.

I suggest taking it out of the pot (you can save the LECA, in case I am wrong), and look at the roots.
If roots are OK, you can pour the LECA back in.
If it needs the root recovery treatment: spaghnum, inside a plastic bag and placed in low light indoors.

greyblackfish 10-02-2023 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairorchids (Post 1009708)
LECA is fine, with an every other day watering schedule, provided that the plant had good roots going in.
What I see in the photos, is a plant with few (any?) live roots, so it is unable to uptake the water you provide.

I suggest taking it out of the pot (you can save the LECA, in case I am wrong), and look at the roots.
If roots are OK, you can pour the LECA back in.
If it needs the root recovery treatment: spaghnum, inside a plastic bag and placed in low light indoors.

Great advice! Would a root stimulant like kelp also be helpful for more roots?

Dusty Ol' Man 10-02-2023 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyblackfish (Post 1009711)
Great advice! Would a root stimulant like kelp also be helpful for more roots?

Always.