Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/)
-   -   Cycnoches herrenhusanum in spike (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/112165-cycnoches-herrenhusanum-spike.html)

marie458 07-09-2023 09:05 PM

Cycnoches herrenhusanum in spike

1 Attachment(s)
This will be my first experience with successfully getting a species cycnoches through the winter without rotting or dying on me :whew So, I'm very excited to see this new growth on my Cycnoches herrenhusanum! I believe it's a spike. Am I correct? If so, should I move it indoors to protect the spike or leave it where it is? With my catesetums in spike, I usually don't move them indoors for protection until the spikes start to show defined buds.

Roberta 07-09-2023 09:13 PM

Some of your fellow Floridians will have good advice. But Catasetinae in general love warm summer weather. (Hot and humid...) Keep it well watered, and outside. It does look like a spike. Congratulations.

marie458 07-09-2023 10:36 PM

Thanks, Roberta! I guess I'm pretty hyper-vigilant when it comes to this particular orchid due to how unpredictable it can be. Also, last year I dealt with some unidentified chewing insect destroying new buds on a catesetum. I was not happy since I had waited so patiently for that particular orchid to flower.

I have this one potted PET style. It gets plenty of water, light, good air circulation and lots of humidity. No doubt that's why it's doing so well. I will keep it outside and keep a watchful eye on that spike!

Roberta 07-09-2023 10:43 PM

And look out for the critters!! Maybe a screened-in area? And lay in a supply of BT (bacillus thuringiensis) products. Caterpillars and those "little green worms", it works, the only thing that does.

marie458 07-09-2023 11:52 PM

I am familiar with BT products. However, I've opted to not use them in my orchid garden because BT kills ALL caterpillars. I have several types of butterflies that visit my garden and I really don't want to harm them.

A temporary screened enclosure is a great idea. I wonder if I can rig up one or two using a couple of butterfly tents I have sitting around. The mesh on those particular tents seems to be pretty caterpillar-proof. Also, I don't have that many catasetinae so I usually don't have too many in bud at the same time. I'm going to try it and I'll let you know if it works ;)

DeaC 07-11-2023 12:56 PM

Wouldn't Eric enjoy another project? Happy wife...! :blushing:

DirtyCoconuts 07-11-2023 02:13 PM

the curly tailed lizards eat spikes of my catasetums...they are awful.

i would not bring it in ever bc air conditioning seems to really piss off outdoor grown plants in my experience

marie458 07-11-2023 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaC (Post 1005992)
Wouldn't Eric enjoy another project? Happy wife...! :blushing:

Already on it! Eric is drawing up some plans as we speak. He has internalized that mantra very well:

A happy wife means a happy life :)

Roberta 07-11-2023 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie458 (Post 1006011)
Already on it! Eric is drawing up some plans as we speak. He has internalized that mantra very well:

A happy wife means a happy life :)

What great guy! Wow!

marie458 07-11-2023 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 1005997)
the curly tailed lizards eat spikes of my catasetums...they are awful.

i would not bring it in ever bc air conditioning seems to really piss off outdoor grown plants in my experience

Curly tails are little beasts for sure. Luckily, I haven't had that issue. However, now that I said it, I've probably jinxed myself!

I agree about the AC. I have a room in the house that seems to keep oven temperatures throughout the year no matter what (it's hot in there!). That's where I usually put my flowering catesetums and they've done pretty well. However, I am going to keep them all outdoors this year. The budding one(s) will go temporarily into a new screened enclosure that will keep them safe from the bugs, hopefully :)