Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Where to cut stalk (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/11204-cut-stalk.html)

dianecty 05-01-2008 11:45 AM

Where to cut stalk

Hi guys! Can you tell me where I should cut the stalk after the flowers have wilted? :lol:

Also, if there are still good flowers, should I cut off the wilted flowers or should I just leave them on the stalk until they drop off by themselves?:bowing

Ray 05-01-2008 02:14 PM

Again....what plant are we talking about? Just because a plant is an orchid, it does not mean they are all the same.

dianecty 05-01-2008 03:29 PM

Kinds of orchids

Can you tell me where to cut - phals, oncidiums, dendrobium nobiles once flowers wilt? Thanks.:evil:

Lene Th. 05-01-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianecty (Post 103958)
Can you tell me where to cut - phals, oncidiums, dendrobium nobiles once flowers wilt? Thanks.:evil:

If its a phal youve got, they tend to grow new flowers on the old stand, therefor i would have cut it just below the wiltered flowers. And i leave the wiltered flowers untill they decide to fall of by their self.

The Oncidium does not set new flowers on the same stand after the old have wiltered. Therefor you can cut of the stand after blooming. This kind have to grow new bulbes before blooming again.

The rest of orchids youll have to wait till someone else can answer, i just know this to. *s*

dianecty 05-01-2008 04:06 PM

Thank you very much Lene!

bellini girl 05-01-2008 04:14 PM

Where to cut stalk

Careful if it's an oncidium papilio...buttlerly orchid..they are sequential bloomers and do tend to flower from just where spent flower dropped...on the same stalk.

:twocents:

Lecent

Lene Th. 05-01-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellini girl (Post 103970)
Careful if it's an oncidium papilio...buttlerly orchid..they are sequential bloomers and do tend to flower from just where spent flower dropped...on the same stalk.

:twocents:

Lecent

Do you have a picture of this one? I didnt know there where Oncidiums that tended to flower again on the same stalk, sorry. :blushing:
As i have an Oncidium my self, but dont know what kind, it would be usefull to know what this one looks like. :)

Ross 05-01-2008 04:57 PM

I agree with Ray's post. Not to be a problem, but each genera has it's own needs. For Phals, lots of folks try for sequential blooms by cutting the stalk just below the last successful blossom. Not me. I feel this stresses the plant too much. There are lots of other genera that do similar things. My recomendation is cut the blossom spike off just above the top most leaf - no matter the genera. That's just me.

dianecty 05-01-2008 06:33 PM

ordinary oncidium

Hi! I don't have a butterfly oncidium. I only have a regular oncidium with lots of small flowers. Where do I cut this one?

quiltergal 05-01-2008 07:05 PM

On Den. nobile there isn't anything to cut. When the flowers are done blooming they just drop off of the cane.