Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Cattleya (Laelia) jongheana (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/111649-cattleya-laelia-jongheana.html)

Roberta 04-13-2023 07:08 PM

Cattleya (Laelia) jongheana

5 Attachment(s)
Cattleya (Laelia) johgheana has one of the best flower-to-plant ratios around. The flowers of the first plant (first 3 photos) have a natural spread of about 5 inches (13 cm) and the growths (pseudobulb plus leaf) are about 6 inches (15 cm). The second plant (3rd and 4th photos) is a small division still getting established. Flower is about 5.5 inches (14 cm) and growths are about 4.5 inches (10 cm). So when this one gets a bit larger (with more growths, hopefully multiple new leads) it's going to be even better, flower could easily get to 6 inches (15 cm)

The flowers emerge from the base of the new leaf with no sheath. This is the largest flower (and plant) of the section Hadrolaelia. Other species in the section have a similar flower-to-plant ratio but smaller flowers (and plants). This includes C (L) pumila, sincorana, dayana, alaorii. (Used to be Laelia, got lumped into Cattleya with the rest of the Brazilian Laelias)

I grow all of these on my patio, filtered sun or bright shade. So they all can tolerate cold, but don't require it, can grow intermediate. When I have grown them mounted, they tend to attach some roots to the mount and the rest out into the air. So I use a wooden basket with large bark to keep them under control and give all the roots a chance at some moisture. Basically a 3-dimensional mount. (The whole section pretty much hates pots)

Lil Duck 04-13-2023 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 1001898)
(The whole section pretty much hates pots)

These silly words won’t stop me!
:banana::banana::banana:

Roberta 04-13-2023 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil Duck (Post 1001901)
These silly words won’t stop me!
:banana::banana::banana:

Hey, it works for you... Mine? If they don't die in pots they languish until they escape.

PeterNL 04-14-2023 03:46 AM

Beautiful!

Burgos 04-14-2023 05:17 AM

Amazing plant, Roberta.

I recently acquired a seedling of the hybrid L. flava x L. jongheana and I'm really looking forward to seeing its flowers. Any guess on its culture with that parentage?

sam1147 04-14-2023 05:54 AM

A Beauty.

smweaver 04-14-2023 08:31 AM

Very cool. I especially like the colors. It's good also to have cultural information about this group. They look small enough that I can probably get away with squirreling a few of them among the larger orchids without attracting too much negative attention from my partner. Thank you for sharing!

isurus79 04-14-2023 09:51 AM

Beautiful! I wish I could grow this species!

DirtyCoconuts 04-14-2023 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 1001930)
Beautiful! I wish I could grow this species!

why not? sounds like they dont need cold

i love the setup and the plants are exceptional!

DeaC 04-14-2023 10:03 AM

Good AM. This caught my eye as 2 wks ago I attended a SEPOS show in Pa. and of course Andy was there. Got my hands on a alaorii mounted with a big fat sheath. It's given me 2 big buds now. Exciting!