Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Species (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/species/)
-   -   ID anyone? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/species/111413-id.html)

lambo1972 03-02-2023 04:10 PM

ID anyone?

2 Attachment(s)
Got couple of pretty ones flowering at work! Can anyone ID these? The yellow is about 2.75” across and the greenish yellow with the purple spots are about 1.5” across. Can’t say where or when I got these but sure they came from a local grocery store or nursery. Pretty though right!?!?

Roberta 03-02-2023 04:34 PM

Not species. There are so many hybrids that look similar, not possible to give a definite ID in most cases. Just enjoy!

lambo1972 03-02-2023 05:49 PM

Thank you! When I look at orchid growers, seller websites, and social media sites, most are given names. Just was curious if these had names. As I have added a few new things to my collection, I will also have to cull a few. But I will keep these and enjoy them. They are different and very pretty to me!!!

Roberta 03-02-2023 06:14 PM

Species will typically have names... sales are aimed at orchid collectors. Hybrids from an orchid vendor often are named. But the ones that you get from places like grocery or big box stores often are sold without names, they're just pretty.

For those with names - if the grower wants people to know about the parentage of the plant they can register a name with the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS), which is the international registry. (Costs a modest fee for each cross) So of course, the ones that get named are typically a little higher-end. In the mass market, there are a lot of no-name plants (NOID is the term you will see a lot) or they may be given a name that isn't registered... a "trade name". If you have a named hybrid, and want to learn more about it, you can look it up on Orchidroots, a terrific free website. (You can also look it up on the RHS Registry website, but it's a lot less forgiving)

As you get more into the hobby, the "pedigree" or species names very likely will become more important to you as you seek to learn about your plants. But those NOID Phalaenopsis (and other types) are very lovely - buy what you like, and enjoy it! Within a given type (like Phalaenopsis) the culture of the named ones and the unnamed ones is, by and large, the same. For care, check out this "sticky" thread The Phal abuse ends here. - Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! - lots of good information.

lambo1972 03-24-2023 09:59 AM

Yellow is one of my favorite colors out there in the natural world. The yellow orchid pictured has a slight lemon scent. It's nice. I can't say it is stronger at night because since this orchid is at work, I'm never around it at that time. This orchid seemed to be in a little stress and did not flower last year. A little TLC and it has developed some nice flowers. Hope I can keep this one going. Obviously it is a favorite now!
Quote:

Originally Posted by lambo1972 (Post 1000125)
Got couple of pretty ones flowering at work! Can anyone ID these? The yellow is about 2.75” across and the greenish yellow with the purple spots are about 1.5” across. Can’t say where or when I got these but sure they came from a local grocery store or nursery. Pretty though right!?!?

Roberta 03-24-2023 10:40 AM

Well done!

lambo1972 04-17-2024 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Phal. Mini Lemon Drops "Sweetheart"...I think I might have found discovered the name of this orchid that I made a post about a while back, fishing for an ID on it. I think anyone who loves Phals, will love this one.
It has a great lemon scent and is easy to care for, and stays pretty compact. Pretty sure this is it, and it is available from a few vendors online. Enjoy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambo1972 (Post 1001012)
Yellow is one of my favorite colors out there in the natural world. The yellow orchid pictured has a slight lemon scent. It's nice. I can't say it is stronger at night because since this orchid is at work, I'm never around it at that time. This orchid seemed to be in a little stress and did not flower last year. A little TLC and it has developed some nice flowers. Hope I can keep this one going. Obviously it is a favorite now!

estación seca 04-17-2024 02:00 PM

Sounds like you need to buy one with a name tag and compare them side by side!