Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Online nurseries for Platycerium (staghorn) ferns and other house plants? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/111072-online-nurseries-platycerium-staghorn-ferns-house-plants.html)

MateoinLosAngeles 12-28-2022 04:39 PM

Online nurseries for Platycerium (staghorn) ferns and other house plants?

Any recommendations for online vendors of staghorn ferns and general vendors for houseplants?

I wonder where the folks on this forum get their non-orchid plants from!

Roberta 12-28-2022 06:04 PM

I think that Cal Orchid also has Platyceriums. As for house plants... lately some orchid vendors are selling a lot of Aroids. (Ecuagenera especially) Sadly, to the great neglect of orchids :( . Orchid shows in general lately have had lots of non-orchids for sale.

Then there is that Ikea Pothos that I had for about 25 years. Bulletproof.

estación seca 12-28-2022 06:08 PM

A friend just looked into this. Not many are easy to find.

Carter & Holmes sometimes sells them. They have P. bifurcatum now I think.

Look up the Fern Factory in Anaheim Hills. The Web site doesn't show much so I would call.

I've been happy with tropical plants from Almost Eden, Carter & Holmes, Gardino Nursery, Glasshouse Works, Logee's, Randy's Plants and Top Tropicals. Note shipping costs have gone way up.

Ray 12-29-2022 07:57 AM

What are “non orchid plants”?

estación seca 12-29-2022 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 997171)
What are “non orchid plants”?

Dicots

Dimples 12-29-2022 01:34 PM

I was extremely pleased and impressed with the plant quality and overall experience ordering from Bros With Hoes out of Florida in 2020. At the time they were an itty bitty operation but they’ve expanded significantly since then. It looks like they’ve also added a lot of the popular “rare” (well-marketed) and higher priced (overpriced) varieties to their inventory.

Ray 12-29-2022 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 997176)
Dicots

I was attempting to be facetious. Who needs "non-orchids", anyway?

MateoinLosAngeles 12-29-2022 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 997186)

:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Thank you all for the great recs! Definitely very interesting options. Ikea is great and I see that they're selling "holiday" cacti for $4.99 – I have so much stuff for epiphytes that I'd definitely consider getting one of those for my collection.

I would add Trader Joe's in that bargain hunting category as well. Perfect places to get a small succulent, a bird's nest fern, a pothos... I've seen TJ sell blooming Oncidiums and Cattleyas labeled as "exotic orchids" (because we all know Phalaenopsis aren't exotic :P)

The Fern Factory looks awesome, agree that website is weird to navigate but they do have ferns that are hard to find elsewhere. I'm eyeing their Platycerium veitchii "lemonei." Will peruse the other vendors you've listed!

Bros with Hoes is also interesting and has some overpriced plants but I also see that they have a good variety of 4" pot Calatheas for about $10. Not bad!

I'm specifically trying to find a type of Staghorn Fern called Platycerium ridleyi - which isn't as common to find in the US as the Platycerium bifurcatum. Most I've found are mature mounted plants upwards of $80, I would prefer to buy a young plant and since I actually intend to grow it in a clay pot or basket, I don't really want to pay the mark up of buying it mounted.

Only place I've found it is Tom Orchid nursery which is located in Thailand so I'm not sure how that would work in terms of import.

estación seca 12-29-2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 997186)

Lol I knew it!

Leafmite 12-30-2022 12:58 AM

These places often have some good finds so you might take a look. I know I saw Staghorn ferns recently for a really good price but I am not quite certain where. Some of these places might offer them. The air plant place has been expanding their inventory:

Logees Fruiting, Rare & Tropical Plants for sale online at Logee’s!

Hirts Shop Plants for Sale Online | House Plant Subscription Service | Hirt'''s Gardens

CTS Airplants Air Plants & Air Plants Supplies for Your Home, Business area & others- ctsairplants.com

Winter Greenhouse Winter Greenhouse

9Greenbox Affordable Indoor & Outdoor Plants: Bamboo & Bonsai Supply
– 9GreenBox

Then there are the carnivorous plants, the plants for the pond and the frog and shrimp aquariums. I sometimes find plants on Etsy and Amazon.