Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   "Outcross" breeding question (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/111071-outcross-breeding-question.html)

Louis_W 12-28-2022 12:41 PM

"Outcross" breeding question

Hey all,

I was just looking on Mirandas website and he has some plants that i would love to have. Here is one:

Cattleya amethystoglossa coerulea 'Atalaia' x outcross

Here is my question, how do you guys interpret the 'outcross'? I know it means 'Atalaia' was crossed with another ameyhystoglossa which is not in the same lineage, but do you think he used another coerulea? Since coerulea is recessive I assume it must be, but i dont need to buy another tipo.

I know that this is probably a question for Miranda himself but im curious what you all think

Ray 12-28-2022 01:41 PM

I'd be hesitant to make that assumption.

If it said :Cattleya amethystoglossa coerulea 'Atalaia' x coerulea outcross", it would be clearer.

Louis_W 12-28-2022 10:47 PM

Thats what i would think as well but i dont recall ever seeing a 'sib' or 'outcross' with a qualifier like alba or coerulea.

Fairorchids 12-29-2022 10:04 AM

With a reputable vendor such as Miranda, you can ask the question. It is much harder in the secondary market.

One of my favorite orchids, Rhy. gigantea, is almost exclusively produced in Thailand, and the plants go through one or more intermediaries before they reach the US market. This makes it impossible to check back, and I have seen a number of 'makes no sense' plants offered for sale here.

For example: alba (recessive) x cartoon (recessive), which results in plain tipos.

I just got 30 or 40 plants in from one of the Hawaiian production nurseries, but I will have to sell them with the caution that color expectations may not come through.

Fairorchids 01-06-2023 06:31 AM

To go back to the original question, it would help if breeders followed proper taxonomic nomenclature (and Miranda is a taxonomist).

C. amethystoglossa, fma. coerulea ('Atalaia' x outcross) would clearly be a coerulea. As written above we have to question whether the pollen parent is a coerulea.

Louis_W 01-06-2023 08:41 AM

Ok yes thats right, thank you. I was trying to remember the correct way to indicate that.

Im sure he has listed his plants correctly. I sent him an email but he hasnt written me back yet. Ill let you know if he responds.

isurus79 01-07-2023 09:20 AM

Following

MilesJerde 09-25-2023 08:11 AM

CAn i ask a question?

Jmoney 09-25-2023 08:19 AM

I would imagine that two coerulea parents were used, since why else designate coerulea. But as written it is not entirely clear; I'm sure Francisco can clarify for you.

estación seca 09-25-2023 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilesJerde (Post 1009338)
CAn i ask a question?

Welcome to the Orchid Board. You can always ask questions.