Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   OK- NOW I get why people like Brassavola nodosa (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/110875-ok-people-brassavola-nodosa.html)

Keysguy 11-26-2022 09:10 PM

OK- NOW I get why people like Brassavola nodosa

1 Attachment(s)
So, I've never been a big fan of Brassavola nodosa mostly because mine was a sporadic bloomer that put out a few blooms here and there over the course of the year. For some unknown reason I have let it attain specimen size and for whatever reason, I have been rewarded. This is 'Mas Mejor' x 'Remar'.

Because of the way it bloomed this year it gets to come to the porch. I have heard people talk about the fragrance which I had never experienced . Maybe because I don't visit the shadehouse at night or it's never had a full flush of booms like this before but WOW it's spectacular. It stopped me cold on my way outside with the dog.

Glad I've held on to it.

Louis_W 11-27-2022 12:18 AM

Wow that's impressive! I still have never smelled one in person

How old is it?

RJSquirrel 11-27-2022 12:32 AM

everyone who has an orchid should own this one.

its aroma therapeutic. you get to be like a bug and enjoy the scent too :)

Ben_in_North_FLA 11-27-2022 01:35 AM

very nice nodosa and good cross too, believe this came from H&R, nodosa breeding has been excellent. the fragrance is amazing and BTW you can trigger it anytime you want by depriving plants of light, get a box big enough to cover it and wait about half hour and then follow you nose

Paphluvr 11-27-2022 07:12 AM

Very nicely done! I love to see well grown specimen sized plants. And RJSquirrel is right, everyone should grow this just to smell the amazing fragrance.

Keysguy 11-27-2022 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis_W (Post 995787)
Wow that's impressive! I still have never smelled one in person

How old is it?

I bet I've had it for 15 years. It was before I kept good records so I suspect I got it off the raffle table or at a society auction. In all likelihood it is a division of a member plant so I wouldn't be surprised if the original plant is one that has been in the society for 50 years but no clue whose it may have been.

It has 35 flowers open right now and an equal number of buds yet to open.

WaterWitchin 11-27-2022 08:26 AM

Yep, definitely deserves a seat on the porch. Imma show this picture to my Brass and give it a little lecture.

Fairorchids 11-27-2022 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Having a feline, who lives to munch on anything green, I can never take blooming orchids home, so I have never experienced the fragrance either.

My first nodosa was seed grown ('Susan Fuchs' x 'Mas Mejor'). Flowers were not great though (risk with seed grown plants). I later got a much better (larger flowered) plant from Waldor, clonal name 'Christina'.

After I went commercial, I have purchased new plants from several sources. Recently I have bloomed one, which is spectacular: Natural spread is 5.3/8" with a lip that is 1.7/8" wide.

I don't know what clones were used to produce this population, but I suspect that at least one of the parents is a var. grandiflora.

From the same breeder, I have received a variety of nodosa hybrids (crosses made with various C & Rlc hybrids). These are producing surprisingly good flowers. One example is B. nodosa x Rlc. Taeko Tamaki = Rhynchobrassoleya Isabella Cano.

Dalachin 11-27-2022 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got one! I’ve had it less than a week. Hoping one day I’ll get to experience that scent…

Gardening in WM 02-06-2023 01:05 PM

I just want to report I have had the honor of smelling my Brassavola Little Stars :)

Seeing as some people have never smelt it I feel special that mine too finally decided to bless me with some flowers.

I can't say if it is the same as the pure nodosa but it's powerful. Fills a room to an overpowering level. Clearly noticeable in the morning when walking into a room that has been releasing its fragrance all night.

I'm glad it's an addition in my collection but it's not the best brassavola fragrance, that goes to my Brassavola cucullata but they grow very big eventually which is not easy to accommodate indoors. If I could have one that was the same size as the little stars but smelt like the B. cucullata we'd have a clear winner. Still I think the little stars is more powerful, both fill a room but I don't remember smelling the cucullata for several hours after in the morning like I do with the little stars. It's very nice too just more of a perfume smell on the little stars and the cucullata is more of a shampoo smell, ie not quite as intense. Anyway, a great addition to show a whole new way to distract us apart from seeing them flower and grow. I'm looking forward to seeing it flower regularly in future.