Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Packing Peanuts (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/110697-packing-peanuts.html)

Clawhammer 10-27-2022 06:05 PM

Packing Peanuts

This is not a secret or anything, but I didn't see much discussion on this topic on the board so I thought I would bring it up.

After seeing packing peanuts utilized on a lot of plants I have purchased from respected growers, I started experimenting with them. I find them incredibly useful. In addition to being free, they have helped mitigate my biggest orchid weakness, overpotting.

I basically use them in the center of all my pots now, draping the roots over them. The roots grow into them but they don't retain water, keeping the center of the pot less soggy. Reduces the amount of expense bark and sphag. Seems like a great way to reduce cost and root rot while recycling a bulky non biodegradable material.

Does anyone else utilize peanuts? Any tips?

Paphluvr 10-27-2022 06:35 PM

I used to do this too and it's a great idea, but when was the last time you received something packaged in peanuts? Used mine up a long time ago.

Relemitty 10-27-2022 07:00 PM

There is some discussion of it in the Potting section and in the Cattleya section that got me interested.

And, yeah, same here about finding peanuts.
I was sure I had some and searched attic and found nothing.
Fortunately, I found them on Repotme, 2 quarts for $7.

I repotted a baby Cattleya about 3 weeks ago and put 2 inches in the bottom of the pot and Cattleya mix for the remaining.
It is too soon to know if it is working but seems like a good experiment.

One other thing...if you like a touch of the grape, keep the corks as they are good for the bottom of the pots.

estación seca 10-27-2022 10:00 PM

Be careful with them. Some are made from starch. They collapse into sticky slime when wet.

Dimples 10-28-2022 12:27 AM

The cornstarch ones can be used to construct 3D models/objects. If you get them wet strategically you can glue them together with just a little water. Fun for kids of all ages.

Clawhammer 10-28-2022 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 994391)
Be careful with them. Some are made from starch. They collapse into sticky slime when wet.

Definitely smart to test them before use!

WaterWitchin 10-28-2022 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimples (Post 994394)
The cornstarch ones can be used to construct 3D models/objects. If you get them wet strategically you can glue them together with just a little water. Fun for kids of all ages.

What a great idea!

DeaC 10-28-2022 12:53 PM

My nuts come mostly from delivered packaged products and I also use them when repotting. I save them and cardboard boxes to bring to Waldor Orchids here in NJ when I shop. They're happy to get them. The biodegradable nuts are made of a corn product (I've been told) and dissolve easily and obviously not suitable for repots.

Dimples 10-28-2022 01:58 PM

I built a pretty large sailing ship out of them in high school, but it never made it out of dry dock. :D

RJSquirrel 10-28-2022 08:13 PM

in some of my plants peanuts were at the bottom of all the pots and the roots looked really good. I soon adopted the peanuts in the bottom of the pot routine. I keep the peanuts from who ever sends them to me.

dont buy the ones from U-Haul they are corn starch and melt with water bec they are meant to be
bio degradable :)