Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   Phal rebloom likelihood (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/110469-phal-rebloom-likelihood.html)

dbarron 09-16-2022 11:56 AM

Phal rebloom likelihood

Ok, I just ordered a sale phal from Hausermann, it's a lovely robust looking plant. However, it must have been used as stock for cut flowers, because the flowering stem cuts (2) were very fresh. At the price (6.99), I'm not unhappy at all..but I was curious.
I haven't grown a phal in like 20 yrs (being on the oncidium and dendrobium side now) and I wondered being as it's now September (mid even), is it likely that cool temps before winter will induce flowering again or am I likely to have no stalks till next year?
I know I know...this is crystal ball gazing, but opinions?
If it helps the cv is 'Ox Happy Girl'. There are 7 good looking leaves, the two stems are on the two oldest leaves.
Thank you for your opinions.

estación seca 09-16-2022 12:01 PM

If it was forced to flower out of season by temperature manipulation it might skip a year. Otherwise I would expect flowers next spring.

Paphluvr 09-16-2022 01:43 PM

Also, depending on where they were cut, you could get a lateral spike as long as the stems stay green. If they start to dry up I would remove them to maintain plant vigor.

Roberta 09-16-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarron (Post 992620)
Ok, I just ordered a sale phal from Hausermann, it's a lovely robust looking plant. However, it must have been used as stock for cut flowers, because the flowering stem cuts (2) were very fresh. At the price (6.99), I'm not unhappy at all..but I was curious.
I haven't grown a phal in like 20 yrs (being on the oncidium and dendrobium side now) and I wondered being as it's now September (mid even), is it likely that cool temps before winter will induce flowering again or am I likely to have no stalks till next year?
I know I know...this is crystal ball gazing, but opinions?
If it helps the cv is 'Ox Happy Girl'. There are 7 good looking leaves, the two stems are on the two oldest leaves.
Thank you for your opinions.

I think just patience and good care. The one factor that I found to be quite helpful (early in my orchid-growing days) was light duration. This was back when LEDs weren't a thing, I used plain old cheapie fluorescent shop lights from Home Depot. But adding light hours, putting those shop lights on a timer 12 hours a day to supplement what light came in the window, I went from hardly any reblooming to about 80%. Phals don't need (or want) high light intensity, but giving them "tropical' light duration greatly facilitates reblooming. At that time, they got house temperatures... winters were naturally a bit cooler than other seasons, so they got a little cooling but nothing systematic.

dbarron 09-16-2022 06:37 PM

Yes, way back when they (phals) sat in the windowsills (back row) and did their things. I still pretty much grow that way. I grow what likes my conditions basically.
We shall see, though I'm personally doubtful for a new spike (and due to how low they were cut probably no branching on the cut spikes, but not sure on that). However, (to use an old adage) just being healthy and growing is enough. I can wait a year.
I have about 15 orchids (yes not a great many) but 5 are in spike right now (onc and dendros), and for three of them it's the first spiking after growing them on between one year and two and a half from small plants (Olympic orchids). If I weren't pretty much out of space, I'd probably order a new batch of small ones *lol*. It's fun to grow them from 2 1/2 inch to first flowering and see what you you actually got (since some are seedlings and even mericlones can be a bit different sometimes).

tmoney 10-05-2022 11:34 AM

well, we consider ourselves to be at orchid growing level 2 (orchids 102 to use uni language), and during phase 1 our expectations were that plants would just bloom all the time.

what im trying to get at is at level 2 it has been important to NOT expect blooms. we just assume it won’t bloom, and if it does then that’s a bonus. we have found this helps us to stay positive.

so, perhaps it won’t ever bloom again....

oh, but when it does...post up some pics!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

dbarron 10-05-2022 01:47 PM

With *that* assumption they would all end up in the trashcan. Unblooming orchids aren't that attractive.

Dimples 10-05-2022 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarron (Post 993356)
Unblooming orchids aren't that attractive.

I think many are quite charming when out of bloom, but I’m a plant person to the max (farmer by trade). There are even a few orchids that I find quite adorable/pretty, but I think the flowers so unattractive or disturbing (to me :biggrin: ) that they’re no longer on my wish list!

dbarron 10-09-2022 05:33 AM

Well, I decided after about a week that the sphagnum was staying wet too long, so I carefully picked it out and put it in a new media of about 75% bark and 25% sphagnum (which has worked well for me in the past). I noticed this week that a new tiny leaf has formed, so I guess it isn't unhappy. We shall see what develops (if anything) and hope I can keep it warm enough this winter (not having done phals for so many years and really not having an excellent place for them with regards to light and temp).

Polypodiaceae 10-09-2022 06:15 PM

hah! I also got the Ox Happy Girl and and the big white surplus one from Hausermann's! Arrived yesterday, repotted while listening to the Mariners. Good luck with yours - mine also appear to be freshly cut.