Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   News, Updates & Feedback (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/news-updates-and-feedback/)
-   -   Hi. Newbie would like some input (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/news-updates-and-feedback/11039-hi-newbie-input.html)

delirious 04-26-2008 07:48 PM

Hi. Newbie would like some input

:hello :waving I'm writing an article about orchids, and I would like some input from those who don't mind if I quote them in the article. My questions are:
1. How did you end up coming to a forum about orchids?
2. What do you get out of the forum?
3. What other orchid stuff do you do on the internet?

Thanks so much for any comments. I'll post it here when the article comes out (in a couple of months).

Ranchnanny 04-26-2008 10:04 PM

:hello Delirious, Welcome to OB
You asked 3 questions so here are my answers.....

Once I got hooked on orchids I was reading and looking for more information on how to care for them so while surfing the net I was lucky enough to find the OB.

What I am getting out of OB is a world of knowledge from folks from all over the world.

The other things I do on the internet is learn more about orchids from all sorts of sites and I order orchids :evil: from the many growers that sell online. Most of the orchids sold in big box stores or grocery stores are kind of generic and ordering online you can find real beauties of different colors and species.

That's my :twocents: hope this helps

TTFN - Sheridan :waving

whygreenberg 04-26-2008 10:45 PM

Hi!

I'm somewhat of a newbie myself. Like a lot of people here, I came to the OB because I found myself smitten with orchids and stumbled across it while trying to find info online.

Ditto what Sheridan said re: ordering orchids online. There are just so amazingly many different species, not to mention hybrids, out there. And each one provides its own deep learning experience.

Plus, (and this certainly applies to the OB as well), the internet has made so much info about growing orchids available to anyone who has a computer and can get online. Check out Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia It's crazy to me that that kind of resource is available online for everyone.

Finally, it's so incredibly wonderful to be able to learn from each other, compare notes, see each other's collections, etc. even though the OB members are scattered all over the world (take a look at the Member Map!) It's a real community.

delirious 04-28-2008 09:54 PM

Thanks so much, both of you! This is really helpful! I will post the article here, like I said, when it makes it to print.

Lorraine 04-28-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delirious (Post 102526)
:hello :waving I'm writing an article about orchids, and I would like some input from those who don't mind if I quote them in the article. My questions are:

Thanks so much for any comments. I'll post it here when the article comes out (in a couple of months).

Hi delirious, Welcome to OB

Answer #1 I bought a few orchids after moving to Florida. They are everywhere here. My husband stumbled on the site and told me about it. For Christmas that year my present was I got to order a new orchid plant each month for the whole year.

Answer #2 I get lots of input out of the care and culture of the types of orchids I might like to grow and tips on keeping them healthy. Also what to put on my wish list. Everyone at OB has been very helpful.

Answer #3 I checkout suppliers for new information of culture, mounting material and find pictures of my unbloomed newly acquired chids.

Hope this helps you.
Lorraine

PS. most months I managed to get more than 1 orchid to add to my collection. That was a christmas gift that kept on giving. yippi.:biggrin:

delirious 04-29-2008 05:56 PM

Hi Lorraine,

Thanks for the response.

Hey, very nice Christmas gift. You lucky girl.

camille1585 04-30-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delirious (Post 102526)

Here are my answers:

Question 1: I had just gotten into orchids and one was dying. I came across OB while searching for info on my dying plant!

Question 2: I learned almost everything I know about orchids here on OB. I like sharing experiences with members worldwide and the wonderful funny/friendly atmosphere on this board. I also got lots of new friends here!!!

Question 3: I shop for orchids and supplies online, look for info on my plants or ones I want to get, and post orchid photos in my online albums.