Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Growing on Mounts (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/)
-   -   Clay cup mounts (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/109630-clay-cup-mounts.html)

KikaMaggie 05-10-2022 01:13 PM

Clay cup mounts

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,
I hope you are all fine.
This is my first experience with this clay cup.
I have mounted that mini phal that has not bloomed in the last 4 years. Hope it will bloom now.
Surprisingly for me I have to full fill the cup every second day.
Does someone know if it works?
Thank you very much
Have a nice week!

Paphluvr 05-10-2022 02:34 PM

I've never tried using these but in theory they should work. The terra cotta wicks moisture to the surface for the plant but the roots have plenty of air. Does the moss stay moist as well?

Was there a reason you chose this method over potting?

KikaMaggie 05-10-2022 02:38 PM

Thank you for your response.
I have seen this clay cup in an orchid centre and got curious about it, so decided to try.

fishmom 05-10-2022 04:44 PM

I have used a similar device, and I found that a build-up of salts appeared quickly on the outside of the clay. You might want to use distilled water if you don't have RO.

Ray 05-11-2022 07:27 AM

They are best for high-humidity environments, so that the water seepage through the clay body keeps the plant moist, but the evaporation is slow enough to avoid the buildup issue.

WaterWitchin 05-11-2022 08:07 AM

I have a clay wine cooler that I use that way. Works great. It's much bigger, so I only add water once a week. I use RO water, no mineral buildup. But it does grow some moss on it now, after a year or so.

Dusty Ol' Man 05-11-2022 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 985967)
I have a clay wine cooler that I use that way. Works great. It's much bigger, so I only add water once a week. I use RO water, no mineral buildup. But it does grow some moss on it now, after a year or so.

I have one of those and was thinking of this. Do you fill it all the way?

WaterWitchin 05-11-2022 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Ol' Man (Post 985972)
I have one of those and was thinking of this. Do you fill it all the way?

Yep, right to the top. Drilled a hole on either side of top, looped a copper wire to it so it would hang. Mounted the plant about halfway down, wrapped a little spagh over top of roots. Voilą!

There are of course other ways to go about it. The wine cooler is meant to have the right porosity to begin with, similar to the old Kool Logs that used to be sold, or an olla irrigation pot. Finding the right porosity in a terracotta pot requires a bit more fiddling to make sure the porosity is adequate.