Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Member Projects (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/)
-   -   Project 2022 Leptotes species (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/109450-project-2022-leptotes-species.html)

camille1585 04-17-2022 09:21 AM

Project 2022 Leptotes species

This year's project plant is anything in the Leptotes genus!

Leptotes unicolor was the suggested plant in the other thread, but given that it was already the 2016 project plant and it's likely that many people have one on account of it being a cute, easy and popular plant, the project is open to any species in the genus. The ones most often found for sale are Leptotes bicolor, L.unicolor, L.pohlitinocoi and L.bohnkiana.

Leptotes bicolor is an easy plant, forgiving of lowish humidity and extremes in temperature. It genenally does best mounted and likes to dry out between between waterings. These can also be grown potted. Success with one or the other growing method largely comes down to your climate and growing area (indoor/outdoors/greenhouse)...

Only recently aquired plants will count towards this project, but if you already have one/several you are of course very much welcome to share photos!

Plants can be purchased at any vendor of your choosing but below is a list of vendors had them listed until very recently:

USA
Hausermann: L.bicolor (baby -2 years from BS $15)
Ecuagenera: L.bicolor
Santa Barbara Orchid Estate: L.bicolor $25+ size unknown
Diamond Orchids : L.bicolor 4N plants $35. Also have L.unicolor and L.bohnkiana.
New World Orchids : L.pohlitinocoi $30
Cal Orchid: L.pohlitinocoi $25
Andy's orchids L.bohnkiana $40, call for L. bicolor $25, L.bicolor 4N $40

EU
Germany -
Schwerter Orchideenzucht: L.bicolor
Lucke Orchideen : L.bicolor, L.unicolor, L.bohnkiana
MSB Orchideen : L.unicolor, L.pohlitinocoi
Orchid House Asia : L.bicolor
Orchids and More : L.unicolor, L.pohlitinocoi, L.bohnkiana

Italy -
Celandroni Orchidee : L.bicolor, L.unicolor
Nardotto e Capello : L.bicolor, L.bicolor x pohlitinocoi

Belgium -
Akerne Orchids : L.bicolor, L.pohlitinocoi

estación seca 04-17-2022 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am able to see into the future, so I bought one of these in September 2021 from Alan Koch of Gold Country Orchids when he spoke to the Desert Valley Orchid Society.

Attachment 157904

It is pictured with a pomegranate in bloom, Punica granatum. I don't know the variety; it came without a tag. It is not the variety Wonderful.

He might still have them if you contact him at gcorchids@aol.com. He can send you a plant availiblity list. His Web site doesn't work unless you have Flash installed.

Roberta 04-17-2022 05:41 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Not participating, already have a nice Leptotes collection. So sharing for reference. Here's my Lpt. bicolor, you can see how I grow it (and the other Leptotes species as well) - mounted. I grow them outside all year around (summer highs usually not much above 92 deg F (33 deg C), summer lows around 68 deg F (20 deg C), winter highs typically 65 - 72 deg F (18-22 deg C). Winter lows usually not much below 40 deg F (4 deg C) but occasionally can dip close to freezing for a few hours. Daytime humidity around 40-50%, night humidity 70-80%. But there are times when, for a few days (even in winter) it can be hot and dry (10-15% RH) but that's the extreme. Full morning sun, afternoon filtered sun. In the "Lpt bicolor roots" photo, the roots go all the way up the mount, and down the full length of the back. So in my yard, they can experience some fairly rough conditions, and still thrive.

Camille, perhaps you can show your plants (and setup) - you have great success under very different conditions. So people starting out with the genus can pick and choose what is closest to their situation. When the participants show their progress, I'd love to learn about the conditions that they use. These are really forgiving little orchids, can thrive in a wide range of conditions.

Dusty Ol' Man 04-18-2022 08:20 AM

Here is my L. pohlitinicoi, purchased 3/27.
https://i.postimg.cc/9fdM0Rhz/20220418-071319.jpg

MCD 04-18-2022 08:45 AM

For those who might want to participate from Canada, Roehampton Orchids has leptotes pohlitinocoi ($38) and leptotes unicolor ($42) available, but bicolor is not currently in stock.

Unfortunately already did my new plant splurge for this spring, otherwise I might have added one to my basket

SFLguy 04-21-2022 06:51 PM

I’m probably growing this very differently than most people here will ever try, but I think it’s worth a mention. Years ago I ended up almost killing my Leptotes bicolor and was left with a single live pseudobulb. I practically gave up on it and tossed it in a pot with some carnivorous plants (planted in moss with constantly wet feet). With time I found out it has survived and was growing back and the next year it flowered. Eventually I repotted the carnivorous plants it was potted with into a peat and perlite mix and tossed it in there as well. This plant has been growing in a peat mix for over two years with constantly wet feet, flowers every year, and is left outside unless it will hit 32F (0C). It’s under clear poly, so it gets very strong light as well.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...2/IMG_2872.jpg

Roberta 04-21-2022 10:05 PM

Interesting! I have had poor luck with any sort of pot with Leptotes. But I grow them very cool - like outside in coastal southern California. I wonder if growing them warmer makes them more tolerant (and maybe even demanding of...) moisture.

camille1585 04-22-2022 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFLguy (Post 984588)
I’m probably growing this very differently than most people here will ever try, but I think it’s worth a mention. Years ago I ended up almost killing my Leptotes bicolor and was left with a single live pseudobulb. I practically gave up on it and tossed it in a pot with some carnivorous plants (planted in moss with constantly wet feet). With time I found out it has survived and was growing back and the next year it flowered. Eventually I repotted the carnivorous plants it was potted with into a peat and perlite mix and tossed it in there as well. This plant has been growing in a peat mix for over two years with constantly wet feet, flowers every year, and is left outside unless it will hit 32F (0C). It’s under clear poly, so it gets very strong light as well.

I live in a completely different climate than you, but grow my Leptotes in a similar way.
I grow indoors, so low humidity (30% winter) and intermediate temperatures with occasional hot summers. Light is Catt level. I got my Leptotes a couple years ago, potted in sphagnum. I left it like that and it has now outgrown the sphag (many roots growing in the pot without medium). I treat it more like an Oncidium in terms of watering. It gets nearly daily watering, and never really dries out. And it really loves it.

These were the roots early last year, and the root system has gotten even larger since.
https://shutterbug.ponzio.net/_data/...0a569d8-me.jpg

This is the plant last spring:
https://shutterbug.ponzio.net/_data/...9771db1-me.jpg

For this project I'm probably going to get a Leptotes unicolor, and maybe a second L. bicolor. I'll try growing them potted and wet as well.

DirtyCoconuts 04-22-2022 09:26 AM

can i still sign up?

WaterWitchin 04-22-2022 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 984604)
can i still sign up?

Well of course you can!