Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Oncidium leaf spotting and bulb browning SOS (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/109081-oncidium-leaf-spotting-bulb-browning-sos.html)

YokaYampi 02-27-2022 12:18 PM

Oncidium leaf spotting and bulb browning SOS

Hello! im new to oncidums ( usually phals) but this summer i got Oncidium Jairak fragrance 'Ha-Nu-Maan CF3 and as you can see in the pictures it came with a bunch of bulbs but some were brown ish.. grey at the bottom. when repotting it ended up breaking in two. I cut the growths that had a lot of browning at the base off and repotted them into two pots. however a few months later and some new growths ive noticed spotting on the leaves and some bulbs continuing to brown/grey at the bottom.
Since im new to bulbs im not sure what to do!
Any insight would be so appreciated

Pictures
https://imgur.com/a/g0hBjdI
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

estación seca 02-27-2022 01:05 PM

Brown and firm bases are normal and common on many Oncidiums. It looks healthy except for the leaf spotting, which I haven't seen on my plants. It makes me wonder about poor nutrition or virus infection. How are you fertilizing? Is it getting any magnesium?

YokaYampi 02-27-2022 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 981138)
Brown and firm bases are normal and common on many Oncidiums. It looks healthy except for the leaf spotting, which I haven't seen on my plants. It makes me wonder about poor nutrition or virus infection. How are you fertilizing? Is it getting any magnesium?

thats a relief to hear, browning bulbs are scary when you arent use to it.
I have an MSU fertilizer and fertilize weakly weekly.
I have magnesium so i do a magnesium treatment, im just not familiar with how much and how often that should be done

estación seca 02-27-2022 02:03 PM

What do you mean by weakly weekly? How much magnesium and how often? What water are you using? If it's tap water, do you know the mineral content?

YokaYampi 02-27-2022 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 981149)
What do you mean by weakly weekly? How much magnesium and how often? What water are you using? If it's tap water, do you know the mineral content?

Woops my bad, it's called K-lite 3% magnesium
K-Lite Orchid and Epiphyte Fertilizer › First Rays LLC

i fertilize once a week, water with Distilled water

estación seca 02-27-2022 02:12 PM

How much fertilizer do you put in how much water?

YokaYampi 02-27-2022 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 981154)
How much fertilizer do you put in how much water?

1/2tsp in 1gallon distilled water

estación seca 02-27-2022 02:23 PM

That should be enough. The leaf spotting concerns me. There's no way to identify virus infection without testing. Let's wait to see what others say.

Your tap water is probably fine for Phals and Oncidiums. Your water utility posts an annual water quality report online. Can you access it? Does it report any of these: pH, total dissolved minerals or solids, alkalinity, hardness, carbonate content?

YokaYampi 02-27-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 981159)
That should be enough. The leaf spotting concerns me. There's no way to identify virus infection without testing. Let's wait to see what others say.

Your tap water is probably fine for Phals and Oncidiums. Your water utility posts an annual water quality report online. Can you access it? Does it report any of these: pH, total dissolved minerals or solids, alkalinity, hardness, carbonate content?

This is also what concerns me, hopefully some has some insight. I was fertilizing with tap water but the buildup and burn got too bad. I didn’t bother checking the site as I saw the buildup myself. so I bought a water distiller and I’ve been distilling water for all my orchids ever since. I haven’t seen signs of burn or buildup since

estación seca 02-27-2022 03:32 PM

Yes. But you can mix tap with distilled to something reasonable and ensure your plants get enough calcium. It also cuts down costs. Some people think the calcium in MSU fertilizers is enough. Other people prefer more calcium.