Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   Anyone part of Orchid Digest? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/108767-orchid-digest.html)

Jeff214 01-13-2022 10:09 PM

Anyone part of Orchid Digest?

Is anyone a part of Orchid Digest? I saw a couple of articles in the archive (published long before I was born...) that were interesting and pondered about joining (if that gets me access :)). The website isn't very clear on what the membership entails... and I was hoping someone here could shed some light on that. Thanks!

Jeff214 01-22-2022 01:26 PM

I guess no one here is a part of Orchid Digest? I guess I will avoid it!

Ray 01-22-2022 03:41 PM

I used to be a member, and got my 4, quarterly magazines.

Being on the west coast, you can probably take advantage of their periodic events.

Paphluvr 01-22-2022 03:45 PM

I haven't been a member in a very long time but I don't think there is a reason to avoid it. Membership used to include a good bi-monthly magazine with a good emphasis on Paphs (which were my specialty). Just like the AOS, membership has probably dropped as information has become accessible on the internet. Sites like this weren't available when I was a member.

Roberta 01-22-2022 03:56 PM

Not sure how I missed the original post...

I have been an OD member for a long time. The publication is superb - both the amount of information and the publication itself - photos are wonderful. You will not get info like that on the Internet. There is still a lot on Paphs - in large part because of the leading members who are Paph fans. Paph Guild is now under their umbrella. Harold Koopowitz contributes quite a lot. So... modest cost, well worth it. Membership gets you the quarterly publications. In the good old days when in-person meetings could happen they also had an annual Speakers Day at the Huntington. Since COVID they have had some excellent online events - speakers from widely- distant parts of the world, something that could not happen in a "location".

Jeff214 01-22-2022 09:00 PM

Great, thanks for the info. I prefer "physical" reading material (which I guess is somewhat unusual for my generation) and it sounds like the Orchid Digest may be a good source. It has been difficult to find reliable sources for many species and I became interested when I saw a wealth of publications in its archive. At least, the titles of the publications sounded good!

Roberta 01-22-2022 09:23 PM

I think that you will find a very high level of scholarship in all of the articles. And it's also beautiful. OK, I'm prejudiced in favor of "paper" ... But this one is well worth the space that it takes up (and being quarterly doesn't overwhelm there either)

Jeff214 01-23-2022 12:15 AM

I'm definitely prejudiced in favor of paper! I still buy my books in print and my physical daily paper delivered haha.

Roberta 01-23-2022 11:03 AM

I also get a physical morning paper. I don't want to sit at the breakfast table with a computer...

Jeff214 01-25-2022 10:52 PM

I joined - looking forward to the printed material...!