Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Help! Fear virus in orchid from Akatsuka Orchids; Coelogyne Usitana (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/108013-help-fear-virus-orchid-akatsuka-orchids-coelogyne-usitana.html)

desirue 10-10-2021 12:27 PM

Help! Fear virus in orchid from Akatsuka Orchids; Coelogyne Usitana

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. I got an orchid over the weekend shipped from Akatsuka Orchids in Hawaii. Today I noticed mealybugs on it. On top of that, it's got black spotting on one of the leaves. I'm attaching pictures of it. Does this look viral to you? It's isolated from my other orchids. Thanks for any help.

Fairorchids 10-10-2021 01:14 PM

Coelogynes are one of the several genera, which often get some minor spotting on the leaves. I doubt that it has anything to do with virus.

Roberta 10-10-2021 01:49 PM

Looks like just a little bit of localized bacterial/fungal issue. Maybe an insect bite or two also. No big deal. I agree with Fairorchids - happens commonly. (Not just on Coelogynes, but on many thin-leaved orchids)

estación seca 10-10-2021 03:00 PM

Thin-leafed orchids can get black spots on the leaves from very tiny injuries. In habitat they look FAR WORSE!

It's impossible to tell whether a plant is virused without doing a test.

DeaC 10-10-2021 06:14 PM

Good advice as usual. Mine can get spotty if I look at them the wrong way. Nunja worry. :twocents:

K-Sci 10-10-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaC (Post 970421)
Good advice as usual. Mine can get spotty if I look at them the wrong way. Nunja worry. :twocents:

When thin-leaved orchids in this family get spots like those it is sometimes the result of being kept too dry. If it still developing/getting worse, you might consider this possibility.

The spots don't look like virus to me, though it is still possible. Most of the plants I have/had that tested positive had no symptoms.

-Keith

desirue 10-11-2021 02:11 PM

The spots/halos have increased in size today :(. I brought this plant with me to work so I can keep a better eye on it. I appreciate everybody's responses. I'm trying not to worry too much.

Roberta 10-11-2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desirue (Post 970473)
The spots/halos have increased in size today :(. I brought this plant with me to work so I can keep a better eye on it. I appreciate everybody's responses. I'm trying not to worry too much.

My opinion... you're overthinking this. Thin-leaved plants get spots... and Coelogynes also drop old leaves eventually. Constant changing of a plant's environment is stressful. My suspicion is that your growing area at home is more conducive to plant health than an office environment which tends to be dry, with insufficient light. If you're planning on leaving it there overnight, it may also get too cold... I suspect that the management turns down the heat when nobody is there.

rbarata 10-11-2021 02:30 PM

Where have I seen this?:scratchhead:

My Coelogyne also develops things like that. When I first noticed I treated with fungicides and all that sort of treatments...I also considered mites and treated it accordingly...then I gave up, until today.:biggrin:
I would't worry too much about it unless I see the plant going really down.

desirue 10-11-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 970474)
My opinion... you're overthinking this. Thin-leaved plants get spots... and Coelogynes also drop old leaves eventually. Constant changing of a plant's environment is stressful. My suspicion is that your growing area at home is more conducive to plant health than an office environment which tends to be dry, with insufficient light. If you're planning on leaving it there overnight, it may also get too cold... I suspect that the management turns down the heat when nobody is there.

You’re probably right. I tend to be an over-thinker/worrier outside of orchids too, so I’m not surprised I lean that way. This is my first Coelogyne, so I’m not familiar with their leaves and tendency to spot etc. Everything I’ve read online doesn’t mention the spotting that’s why I come to you guys for your advice :)

I work in a very old architecture building downtown and it’s actually really great lighting (ceiling to floor windows) and a conference room just outside my office that provides green house type environment lighting too. Our front lobby area gets such great natural light that we don’t need to turn on our led lights until we go home. I’ve got several orchids at work already that do really well. I also monitor the thermostat, the temperature is always very comfortable. :) But, I completely see what you’re saying. I know moving it was probably not the best move, but I may just keep it at work so I’m not moving it back and forth.