Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cypripedium Alliance - others (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-others/)
-   -   Beautiful baby Mexi appeared today *MINI* (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-others/1079-beautiful-baby-mexi-appeared-mini.html)

Tikva 08-30-2006 01:39 PM

Beautiful baby Mexi appeared today *MINI*

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...-06arrived.jpg

Here she is..... and she deserves to be looking so large. She's in a 2" pot and has a new growth hiding down on the right hand side - check it out!
Windy Hill Orchids was soo kind and wonderful. Gave me a great deal on her and she's perfect! I love perfect leaved orchids! Guessing the new growth in the center is another leaf....

cb977 08-30-2006 01:50 PM

Isn't she just adorable???
Very nice looking new 'chid you've got there :)
I know how happy you are right now ;)

Mahon 08-30-2006 07:03 PM

Very nice little division Tik!

This species naturally grew (maybe it is still in nature) in Oaxaca, Mexico. The specific epithet will help you alot in the care of this species, 'xerophyticum' means 'an xerophyte', or a plant which grows in the desert or desert-like conditions.

Here's how I grew this this species. The plants were in a well-draining mix and put the plant in full sun, or close to it (I would say by the color of your plant's leaves to gradually introduce sunlight to it, the leaves should actually be a yellow-green color, but should never be allowed to burn with whitish spots). In late spring, this species usually flowers (at least it did with me), though it can almost flower any month in the year (it is a variable bloomer). In summer until autumn, I tended to water them more when in active growth. When winter came, I cut down on watering. I never gave it fertilizer, nor did I pot it in humus. They grow into weeds after a while.

Good luck growing this really tiny species, they are quite challenging at first... =)

-PM

Tindomul 08-30-2006 10:27 PM

I can't see it. :(

justatypn 08-31-2006 12:07 AM

Great looking chid Tik, Tindo pickin' on Tik again :evil: ... lol. Pat has some good advice and bet you can't wait to see it in bloom.

Heather 08-31-2006 08:50 AM

Hey Tik, congratulations, girl! I know how much you've wanted one. Glad Marilyn was able to help, she's a lovely woman and a fabulous grower.

Just FWIW, I have not found these to be picky at all, but I had a much larger division from Marilyn. I grow mine very similarly to Patrick.

Tikva 08-31-2006 09:14 AM

OK Heather. LOL
I got a 3 page paper on how to care for it and it's growing habits etc. Just the mix alone sounded daunting and I hope it doesn't need to be repotted for 100 years! LOL
In all honesty, I would like to coddle this one because I want her to grow fast and bloom fast lol. I've even thought of getting a heat pad and something to keep humidity up more .... She's so small...
I would LOVE to see Marilyn's very large plant :c)

Heather 08-31-2006 09:58 AM

Those are the instructions I follow, Tikva. I actually sort of neglected mine last year (really let it dry out in the winter) so don't coddle too much. :)
I do try to mist daily though, per Marilyn's culture sheets.

Marco 11-05-2006 06:29 PM

:poke: hey tik where ya been??? havent seen you around in a while. hope everythings ok. i miss you and sue making fun of me in the chats...it aint the same

Tikva 11-05-2006 06:50 PM

Hey there Marco :c)
I've been trying to stop my orchid obsession - can't afford to buy more and it was making me crazy to water them and I overran the house with my out of control obsession. For some reason, you guys just do not help limit my need to own more.... hehehe :c)
That said, I've bloomed a few orchids on my own now (finally!) and overall I'm pleased with my orchid progress... I'm hoping to get a tiny bit of money at my next OS meeting for some plants I just do not want.
I miss talking. Maybe one day I will stop into chat.
K