Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   Easiest phal for novice grower? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/107762-easiest-phal-novice-grower.html)

Rross 09-14-2021 08:52 AM

Easiest phal for novice grower?

Could anyone recommend the strongest, longest-flowering, easiest-care Phalaenopsis cultivars? Thanks.

Thriodien 09-14-2021 09:01 AM

Hi, basically any hybrid from the local stores or garden centers :) These are crosses developed with a goal in mind that they wouldn't be high maintenance yet would flower generously.

camille1585 09-14-2021 09:51 AM

Most hybrid Phals found in supermarkets, garden centers, etc, are relatively forgiving for beginners, providing you understand their care. (Though 'easy' is a very subjective term). Hybrids are usually more vigorous growers, easier to bloom and more tolerant of variations in conditions and care than species are.

estación seca 09-14-2021 11:30 AM

The large plant, large white flower hybrids are bred to be very floriferous. They are generally easy to grow and vigorous. One of these readily available in the US is Phalaenopsis White Dream 'V3' AM/AOS but there are many others.

Shadeflower 09-14-2021 11:30 AM

I will second what everyone has said here, supermarket phals have the genetics to adapt to the widest ranges of house conditions and will be strongest long term.

But most supermarket phals that get sold here get sold in poor condition that need a repot and a bit more attention initially. Once new roots have formed they will be easier.

When getting a more specialized phalaenopsis they are generally more dependent on the right temperatures but they have not been sitting in a supermarket shelf for a while already.

I've probably bought about 10 supermarket phals so this is my experience with them

all have the potential to be strong hybrids
all were potted in degraded media and needed to recover
4 died
4 recovered
2 took 3 years to recover
all were very cheap

Arguably I've had far better success with my warm growing phals but maybe because I was giving them warmth and generally treating them a bit better. That could always be but once a phal is stressed enough it has literally taken years to get it back to health again.

Maybe we are more unlucky here in that regard but in my experience where you get the orchid from can make the biggest difference sometimes.

So hard to say. For me I really like my sedirea japonica's just because they like the temperatures we get here in the UK. It can handle down to much colder temps than other phals, it is fragrant and it produces lots of mini flowers.

Rross 09-15-2021 08:55 AM

Thanks for all your replies. In my experience, supermarket phals are hideously overpriced for the sorry specimens that they are. I was thinking of buying something from an on-line nursery, and was hoping for suggestions. So far, on the Internet, I’ve read that Baldan’s Kaleidoscope is reliable - a real workhorse, but I haven’t found it anywhere.

camille1585 09-15-2021 09:01 AM

A lot of orchid vendors also stock run of the mill Phals, with or without names. Don't overthink it too much, if you see a hybrid Phal that catches your eye online, go for it! Do try to do some research before to make sure you order from a good quality nursery.

tmoney 09-15-2021 11:21 AM

i don’t know the answer, and im sharing with you our beginner experience. that has been that the grocery store phals, as other have said, have been our most reliable bloomers and have each put on 3 or more huge leaves this summer. tho phals, in general, seem to be the easiest of the orchid genera to grow inside at home. but here’s the catch....our absolute easiest and best growing orchi is our vanilla, which by most things ive read is one of the trickier to get growing indoors. so, the point im trying to make is, just buy what you like from a reputable nursery and see for yourself.

but i hear ya that of course i look at the orchids when we are buying food, but never am i like, oh, that plant looks amazing, i have to have it!!

Rross 09-15-2021 08:59 PM

A vanilla orchid in Düsseldorf?! How hot is your house?

estación seca 09-16-2021 01:56 AM

What do supermarket Phals cost in Sydney?