Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Just discovered weird green rings (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/107624-discovered-weird-green-rings.html)

Bamanana 08-29-2021 04:02 PM

Just discovered weird green rings

2 Attachment(s)
While flushing my pots, I discovered weird green rings on my den. To my kids ‘smile’ that weren’t there two weeks ago. See attached pics. Anyone know what the heck this is? Thanks.

estación seca 08-29-2021 04:07 PM

Is it growing with high humidity? That could be fungus, or it could be virus. No way to tell the latter without doing a virus test.

Bamanana 08-29-2021 04:16 PM

50% humidity

I have been struggling with southern blight for awhile, but this is not it. Doggone fungus gnats have been the bane of my existence. And I only have 5 plants in organic media. My phals have been particularly susceptible and I have lost many.

But this is something new.

estación seca 08-29-2021 04:31 PM

In fungus gnat threads people recommend several things, each of which the proposer swears by:
  • Mosquito ring (containing BT, meant to put into standing water) crumbles put on the top of the medium;
  • Spraying the medium with pet flea and tick spray;
  • Keeping butterworts or sundews with the orchids;
  • Training a fan over your collection to blow the adults away so they cannot breed

My question about humidity is pertinent. Are you growing outside, or inside an air conditioned space? If inside, fungus is far less likely.

Bamanana 08-29-2021 05:03 PM

Inside

Have a butterwort (pinguicula gigantea) sticky traps, dish with water and apple cider vinegar, fan going 24/7 and mosquito bits were supposed to be here yesterday. (Put in reservoirs, right?)

Ray says Quantum is great for helping the orchids combat the crud and stay healthy. I have it in every pot. I am VERY pleased with new growth, spikes, sheaths, etc. that I am seeing.

Just not these new weird green rings.

Shadeflower 08-30-2021 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi bama,
I have taken a picture of mine. I don't think they look too different.
As you can probably see mine is still a young seedling and I'm probably not giving it optimal care.
It should be doing fine imo but I am no expert on it, I will just show you what my D To my kids looks like at the moment. The leaf discoloration is new on mine too I think.
I haven't put too much thought into it as it's only older growth affected on mine.
What about yours?

Bamanana 08-30-2021 06:38 AM

Yes. Mine is on older growth also. Otherwise, the plant seems fine.

ArronOB 08-30-2021 11:14 AM

Bamanana can you show us the underside?

Reason why is because I’m thinking Cercosporid fungi.