Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Potting & Repotting (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/)
-   -   dormant Fredclarkeara after dark - watered (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/107164-dormant-fredclarkeara-dark-watered.html)

AuroraC 06-27-2021 09:12 PM

dormant Fredclarkeara after dark - watered

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! :waving I'm new to orchids and I'm a little bit confused..

I just got a fredclarkeara after dark. but when they sent it to me it was rootbound, so I decided to change it to a slightly bigger pot with the potting mix they suggest at Fred Clarke catasetum culture sheet.

The problem is... since it should be in growing season and I've never had one before, I didn't realize the plant was dormant and that I shouldn't have watered it but I did... that was yesterday and the substrate is still damp.

The question is... should I dig out the plant and let the roots dry and just wait for the new growth to show up to repot it? or should I just leave it alone and let it dry out on its own and don't touch it again until it show signs of new growth?
*I already removed the green moss and the humidity tray.*

I contacted Sunset Valley Orchids and they kindly sent me some instructions of how to take care of my plant, but they didn't say anything about this specific situation.

I'm seriously a newbie and I don't want to kill my plant. I love it. besides it was super expensive and I will hardly ever gonna get another one here where I live...

I would appreciate any advice you could give me!!
Thank you!

fishmom 06-27-2021 10:02 PM

Those pseudobulbs are nice and plump, so they have the energy to send out new growth. I'm guessing this was a division of a larger plant, and the division is just somewhat late in sprouting new growth. I would just leave it alone and wait for a new sprout to appear. I seriously doubt that the watering will do any harm. Keep it nice and warm, and it should grow for you. Good luck!

AuroraC 06-27-2021 10:07 PM

Oh! Thank you so much! I feel much better now!! <3 <3 <3

estación seca 06-28-2021 01:17 AM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

AuroraC 06-28-2021 05:10 AM

Thank you so much!!! 🥰🌸🌿

Dusty Ol' Man 06-28-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraC (Post 961098)
Oh! Thank you so much! I feel much better now!! <3 <3 <3

Welcome to the OB. Now that you have a catasetum, go to the catasetum forum (look on the site menu on the left) and read, read, read! I don't grow them, but there is a wealth of information from the members who do on those pages. Good luck growing!

AuroraC 06-28-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Ol' Man (Post 961120)
Welcome to the OB. Now that you have a catasetum, go to the catasetum forum (look on the site menu on the left) and read, read, read! I don't grow them, but there is a wealth of information from the members who do on those pages. Good luck growing!

I will!!! Thank you so much 😀

isurus79 06-28-2021 09:54 PM

The plant will be fine!

FYI- Orchids prefer to be root bound, so don't worry about it when it happens!

AuroraC 06-29-2021 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 961190)
The plant will be fine!

FYI- Orchids prefer to be root bound, so don't worry about it when it happens!

Thanks!!! I really hope so hehe 😅
The roots where coming out from under the Pot and it couldn't stand very well.

AuroraC 07-12-2021 08:34 PM

update!

1 Attachment(s)
Hello! Guess what!?
the Fredclarkeara is growing a flower spike!
When I purchased it, it came without leaves, they cut them... I have my theories about that. :/

But It was very confusing, so after the last post the substrate wasn't drying out and it was growing mold on the roots. so I dug it up and let it dry completely. There was a little growth on the side, I thought it was a pseudobulb, but today I looked at it and it was a flower spike!
So I repotted it again this time on a different and more aerated substrate.
I'm happy though.. I just wanted to share this with you guys :) :waving

Attachment 153363