Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   what to do with clearing out some noids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/106577-clearing-noids.html)

neophyte 04-14-2021 02:32 PM

what to do with clearing out some noids

I want to clear out some of the old noids I have that are taking up a lot of space, but I don't want to throw them away either... most of them are quite vigorous (although a bit underwatered) and it would be a pity just to trash them. What should I do?

rbarata 04-14-2021 03:18 PM

When the orchid societies start, take them and offer.

fishmom 04-14-2021 04:00 PM

Offer them up on one of your local Freeshare sites--Freecycle, Facebook Freeshare for your town, etc, Nextdoor. Then handout information about your local orchid society with the orchid--it's a great recruiting method.

DirtyCoconuts 04-14-2021 05:55 PM

They won’t survive in your trees?

neophyte 04-14-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 955651)
They won’t survive in your trees?

:rofl: I wish! LOL

DirtyCoconuts 04-14-2021 06:05 PM

Sorry, first thing that popped into my head.

i mean, would you ship them? im sure a lot of folks would love a grip of plants.

heck, id pay you to send em here just to keep them alive ( assuming they WOULD survive here)

Mountaineer370 04-14-2021 08:50 PM

As already mentioned, check around with your local orchid societies. I'm not sure who is back to in-person meetings yet (not here), but when they resume, many of them have raffle tables, silent auctions, etc. I'm not sure if you would need to be a member, though.

What about donating them to local nursing homes, assisted living facilities, retirement villages, etc.? Couldn't hurt to ask. Maybe it would brighten someone's day to have a plant to care for.

neophyte 04-14-2021 09:24 PM

All great ideas – thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 955655)
Sorry, first thing that popped into my head.

i mean, would you ship them? im sure a lot of folks would love a grip of plants.

heck, id pay you to send em here just to keep them alive ( assuming they WOULD survive here)

Haha, wasn't trying to be sarcastic if that's what it sounded like lol. They are mostly warm growers, I think. The problem is some of them are just too unwieldy at this point... :blushing:

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer370 (Post 955693)
What about donating them to local nursing homes, assisted living facilities, retirement villages, etc.? Couldn't hurt to ask. Maybe it would brighten someone's day to have a plant to care for.

What a nice idea! And very kind. :)