Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   Hi from new york! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/106241-hi-york.html)

bulblehead 03-09-2021 03:19 PM

Hi from new york!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone!

I've been spending a lot of time browsing these forums so I decided to make an account :biggrin: .

I'm fairly new to the orchid hobby, having gotten two seedlings from a little over a year ago. They are doing well. Although I have been growing plants in general (succulents, carnivorous plants, etc) for around four years. I live in the city so everything I grow has to either subsist on grow lights or the windowsill (weird north east facing one with a lot of afternoon reflection light from nearby sky scrapers) .

Recently I got 7 new orchids eek (i've stopped for now). Along with the number of plants to take care of increasing, so has my paranoia about their health esp since the windowsill is getting a little crowded. Anyways I am very paranoid. So I'm probably going to be watching them, waiting, and testing for the next 8 months to make sure they're in good health etc.

Anyways I'm really excited to discuss and learn more about orchids with you guys! None of my plants have bloomed so I will share pictures of those later, but one of my neofinetias just started rooting for the spring so here's a picture of the little stubbin.

Roberta 03-09-2021 03:58 PM

:welcomeflowers:

SADE2020 03-09-2021 06:58 PM

Welcome!!!

The pic looks good...

estación seca 03-09-2021 11:23 PM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

realoldbeachbum 03-10-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulblehead (Post 952379)
Hi everyone!

I've been spending a lot of time browsing these forums so I decided to make an account :biggrin: .

I'm fairly new to the orchid hobby, having gotten two seedlings from a little over a year ago. They are doing well. Although I have been growing plants in general (succulents, carnivorous plants, etc) for around four years. I live in the city so everything I grow has to either subsist on grow lights or the windowsill (weird north east facing one with a lot of afternoon reflection light from nearby sky scrapers) .

Recently I got 7 new orchids eek (i've stopped for now). Along with the number of plants to take care of increasing, so has my paranoia about their health esp since the windowsill is getting a little crowded. Anyways I am very paranoid. So I'm probably going to be watching them, waiting, and testing for the next 8 months to make sure they're in good health etc.

Anyways I'm really excited to discuss and learn more about orchids with you guys! None of my plants have bloomed so I will share pictures of those later, but one of my neofinetias just started rooting for the spring so here's a picture of the little stubbin.

Welcome Bulb! I am new to orchids as well (3 years). Word of caution: Orchids are addicting. Once I got that first bloom "on my watch" -- not purchased with a bud or bloom -- I was hooked.

You have found the perfect place for expert orchid advice. These folks are tried and true orchid lovers. They have been so very kind and helpful to me and have certainly saved my collection from ruin.

Happy growing and welcome to the addiction!!!

bulblehead 03-10-2021 09:05 PM

thanks for the welcomes!

yeah currently i am trying to save my husband's dendrobium nobile. Going to try repotting it into something that drains more than pure spahgnum (i think he got really excited about the plant and overwatered it, like you know the hover near a plant, admire it, water it). i might need some more help if that doesn't do the trick. we'll see

estación seca 03-11-2021 12:02 AM

The time to repot Dens is when they're making new roots. Den. nobile and hybrids commonly drop leaves in winter. Before you repot - what is going on with it?

bulblehead 03-11-2021 12:14 AM

It's been soaking in very wet sphagnum for two weeks. A few days ago a bunch of leaves (mostly older ones) just all turned yellow with dark spots and dropped at once.

Otherwise right now it has one cane of flowers and ~3 canes with keikis.

estación seca 03-11-2021 12:31 AM

I would take it out of the pot but leave the root ball and sphagnum intact. Let it dry out. Then evaluate later. The leaf drop you describe might be normal leaf drop. If a plant is sick it usually drops flowers first.

Sphagnum moss is a good medium for nobile hybrids because they need so much water when in growth. During the winter season they can be slightly moistened as soon as they get almost dry instead of kept wet like in summer.

bulblehead 03-11-2021 12:37 AM

ah yeah that's a good idea, thank you!

yeah my main concern was just drying it out a little faster but i guess i can dry it out without repotting lol.