Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cypripedium Alliance - Paphiopedilum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/)
-   -   Question on new growths on paphs! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-paphiopedilum/106221-question-growths-paphs.html)

chicken_wing 03-08-2021 07:40 AM

Question on new growths on paphs!

Hi everyone!
I've just purchased a beautiful paphiopedilum delenatii (I have to say that looking at it on internet I wasn't really a fan... but when I saw it in person I was blown away by its beauty).
It's currently in bloom but I've noticed that there's no new growths sprouting yet.

I'm not the biggest expert when it comes to paphs :biggrin: .... so I want to ask you if it's normal for a paph - expecially a delenatii - not sending out a new growth after blooming from the oldest growth (the bloom is quite fresh and so is the spike).

I'm used to see new fans almost at every stage of growth with my paph maudiae. I know that maudiae is a "rapid" grower compared to other paphs.... But because I'm so new to mottled paphs I'd like to know if this is a pretty normal behavior from paphs or if it should have started a new fan yet.

Thanks!:waving:bowing

SouthPark 03-08-2021 08:51 AM

I don't grow delenatii, but grow a couple of juvenile vietnamense, and some other ones. The vietnamense could possibly be like delenatii ---- maybe. Mine haven't flowered yet. Relatively slow growing here, but are doing just fine. Very nice leaves.

You mentioned ---- "It's currently in bloom" and also "not sending out a new growth after blooming". So there's uncertainty about the actual situation - because the orchid is still in bloom (aka - still a flower on it), right?

As long as you maintain suitable growing conditions - then new leaves - in your case - new growth for a new fan, will eventually start up.

chicken_wing 03-08-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthPark (Post 952216)
I don't grow delenatii, but grow a couple of juvenile vietnamense, and some other ones. The vietnamense could possibly be like delenatii ---- maybe. Mine haven't flowered yet. Relatively slow growing here, but are doing just fine. Very nice leaves.

You mentioned ---- "It's currently in bloom" and also "not sending out a new growth after blooming". So there's uncertainty about the actual situation - because the orchid is still in bloom (aka - still a flower on it), right?

As long as you maintain suitable growing conditions - then new leaves - in your case - new growth for a new fan, will eventually start up.

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear enough! :blushing:

It's in bloom now. So there is still the fresh flower on. But at this point, with my paphiopedilum maudiae I already have a new fan emerging. With this delenatii I don't have any sign of new growth. I'm just curious if this is a pretty normal behavior in paphs.... or with delenatii more specifically.

In other words.... Do I need to wait for the bloom to dry off to have any chance to see a new growth emerging on delenatii?
- I hope that now it's a bit more understandable the question :D -

Anyway, thank you for answering me.

estación seca 03-08-2021 11:57 AM

The old growths on Paphs can last for several years after flowering, so don't worry. It will eventually grow.

PaphMadMan 03-08-2021 01:22 PM

Is the flowering Paph delenatii a 1 growth plant, 2? More? In my experience, if a 1 - 2 growth Paph flowers the plant may need a recovery period before starting new growth, perhaps waiting until the next spring when conditions tend to promote growth. It put all its energy into flowering and needs to build up a reserve to start active growth again, and some are more seasonal than others. A mild shock like being moved to a new environment might contribute to a pause as well. A weed like Maudiae might not wait, but many others will. Larger more mature plants with 3+ growths are more likely to keep growing while flowering, and better overall culture will also tend to promote continuous growth.

vegetalmatter 03-08-2021 02:43 PM

I'm growing a delenatii too and it grows extremely slooow. Mine hasn't flowered yet but I imagine with the growth rate I'm seeing it would be normal for it to flower and not even start a new fan yet.

The foliage on the delenatii is probably my favorite out of all of my plants. Most jewel orchids I'm afraid can't compare. So bold, sparkly, and detailed but hard to capture in photos.

chicken_wing 03-09-2021 03:16 AM

Thank you guys for sharing your experience!

My delenatii is a very small plant. It has only 1 and half grow (the half is the oldest fan which doesn't have all its leaves anymore) so... according to what you said... it's possible that it's pausing waiting to bounce back.

Oh my God yes. The foliage is sooooo beautiful! It's mesmerizing! I'm so excited to see this plant to bush up a bit, in particular, to have more leaves to look at :D
They look like someone had scribbled on them with a pen!