Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Way Cool - Venus Fly Trap sealed in ecosystem (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/106118-cool-venus-fly-trap-sealed-ecosystem.html)

Dr. Dave 4u 02-26-2021 04:37 PM

Way Cool - Venus Fly Trap sealed in ecosystem

2 Attachment(s)
Me crazy?

Yes when it comes to weird plants I'm a sucker for them!!
When I saw this on amazon for under ten bucks just had to have it!

It’s a Venus fly trap in sterilized growing medium /ecosystem they call it!

Just needs indirect light and room temps to grow...all included....WHY NOT?!!

DirtyCoconuts 02-26-2021 05:28 PM

What will it eat?

Dr. Dave 4u 02-26-2021 05:39 PM

Since its supposed to grow till it fills the glass I assume all it needs is in the growing medium!
Pretty cool!

I was wondering about gas exchange in this sealed system? Plants take in CO2 and give off O2?
Hows that work in here I wonder?

Leafmite 02-26-2021 08:57 PM

I have two orchids and a Sundew like this from Bloomify. I have been giving them as gifts, too, to people that say they cannot grow plants. :)

Orchid Whisperer 02-27-2021 07:05 AM

Most likely you'll need to open it up eventually. That is related to the need for gases (like carbon dioxide) and nutrients needed to keep the cluster of small plants growing. The plants submerged beneath that growing medium are likely to go first.

The small plants should be easy to transplant to a small bog-type dish garden, chopped sphagnum growing medium.

Venus flytraps are native to warm temperate climates, like North Carolina. They acclimate to moderately cold temperatures quite well (temperatures down to 20° F, or lower, are not unusual).

Ray 02-27-2021 07:34 AM

Most of the native population is within about a 40 mile radius of here.

Dr. Dave 4u 02-27-2021 07:50 AM

This company Bloomify offers an orchid in growing medium also in a sealed bottle!
Live indoor carnivorous plants & orchids | Bloomify

Obviously the gaseous exchanges somehow works in this sealed system for up to a year!!!

Here is part of the description of an orchid which is out of stock now...

ELEGANT & LONG LASTING: Your orchid comes with a soon to bloom flower spike, and will rebloom over a lifespan of 1 year in the terrarium.

Seems they also sell orchids mounted in moss but these enclosed mini terrariums I find most interesting!

Orchid Whisperer 02-27-2021 08:37 AM

With all these plants in a bottle, it's fine to enjoy as a curiosity for awhile, but if you intend to be keep the VFT or orchid long term, they can't build plant tissues unless there are nutrients and CO2 exchanged from the outside.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 951191)
Most of the native population is within about a 40 mile radius of here.

Yep. You're in or near Wilmington, right?

I mentioned in another thread working on a site near Jacksonville, Onslow County. I saw wild VFT on that site.

DeaC 02-27-2021 10:40 AM

Cool! Nepenthes peaked my interest 2 yrs ago. Have 3 hanging at edge of growlights near humidifier growing well. Had no clue as to all the varieties. Carnivero, Carnivorous Plants and Tropicals Nursery is where I bought from if folks are interested. :biggrin:

Ray 02-27-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchid Whisperer (Post 951197)
Yep. You're in or near Wilmington, right?

I mentioned in another thread working on a site near Jacksonville, Onslow County. I saw wild VFT on that site.

Yep. As the crow flies, we're about 25 miles south of Wilmington.