Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Identification Forum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/)
-   -   Need ID ideas on phalaenopsis w/3 keikis !!! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/106078-id-ideas-phalaenopsis-3-keikis.html)

Dr. Dave 4u 02-22-2021 11:37 AM

Need ID ideas on phalaenopsis w/3 keikis !!!

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

This is my favorite Trader Joes Phalaenopsis I fell in love with and had to buy. After it dropped blooms I used keiki paste and ended up with three keikis of which one has put out a spike and its blooming now! Of course being a clone its exactly like the mother plants blooms.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out the possible parents of this hybrid?

Thanks!

WaterWitchin 02-22-2021 11:56 AM

In my opinion, pretty much impossible. Big box hybrids are a dime a dozen, and there's a bajillion of them. I'd just enjoy.

Dr. Dave 4u 02-22-2021 11:57 AM

Ok thanks!!

I just love the pattern so the name doesn't really matter anyway!

camille1585 02-23-2021 01:56 AM

Now that is a fantastic display with those huge keikis! Do you have plans to separate those keikis at some point?

While you will never find the exact name of the hybrid, these types (spotted purple) are known as Harlequin Phals. I used to have one back when starting with orchids and I found that it was a rather vigorous plant, and bloomed very easily.

Dr. Dave 4u 02-23-2021 12:35 PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!
I appreciate your help with ID, Harlequins the key!!
I also googled around and saw there are also some deep yellow harlequin pals, any idea how hard these are to come by?

You inquired what I might do with this 3 keiki phal i have in bloom. Dean, who I bought my keiki cloning paste from has challenged me to go for another generation of keikis on the new spike once the blooms have died off. What do you think? guess I could go for it before ever deciding to separate the keikis.
Has anyone ever done this before?

The mother phal is putting out a nice aerial root and the potted roots are still in the sphag moss from the commercial grower. I have been afraid to repot if all is going well?
So what say you?
Go for the next, second generation of clones on the 1st generation clone's spike? or separate?!!

BTW, loved all the great pics in your photo gallery!

Thanks again, Dr. Dave

Mr.Fakename 02-23-2021 01:03 PM

You mentioned your interest in species in another post, so there ya go:

This type of Phal breeding often starts with the Phalaenopsis section (Phalaenopsis, The Genus - Beginner's Handbook, XXIII), to which more colourful species are added; mainly lueddemanniana, amboinensis, gigantea.

Yellow plants arise principally from fasciata and venosa.

Was that Phal already "frilly" or is that a side effect from the keiki paste?

Growing keikis on keikis is possible and even quite common for some species, but I think food and water intake are going to be an issue at some point if you don't water the offspring.

Dr. Dave 4u 02-23-2021 02:23 PM

Hi,
What do you mean when you asked if it was "Frilly"?
Thanks for the other info....
Dr. Dave:)