Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Outdoor Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/)
-   -   Can I grow orchids in trees in Austin, TX? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/105879-grow-orchids-trees-austin-tx.html)

Dewberry 02-03-2021 01:36 PM

Can I grow orchids in trees in Austin, TX?

I live in Austin, TX. I’d like to try to grow orchids in trees outside. Austin is in zone 8b, and I think it’s been many years since we got a temperature below 17 degrees.

I know that’s pushing it for an orchid. We also have hot summers.

Do you know of any orchids that could survive in an Austin tree? Do you have any tips for making it work?

DirtyCoconuts 02-03-2021 02:17 PM

of course you can, the question is which ones

here are the native texas orchids...i know, texas is large, but you should be able to use this as a guide

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

oh, and welcome!!!

estación seca 02-03-2021 03:05 PM

Encyclia tampensis or Epidendrum magnoliae maybe. The Epi is the northernmost North American epiphytic orchid. 17 F / -8C would probably kill them.

Roberta 02-03-2021 03:33 PM

Laelia anceps might make it, though that's pretty cold. If kept dry when cold, odds are better. They laugh at the heat so summer isn't a problem.

isurus79 02-09-2021 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewberry (Post 949039)
I live in Austin, TX. I’d like to try to grow orchids in trees outside. Austin is in zone 8b, and I think it’s been many years since we got a temperature below 17 degrees.

I know that’s pushing it for an orchid. We also have hot summers.

Do you know of any orchids that could survive in an Austin tree? Do you have any tips for making it work?

Sadly no, there are none that will make it through the winter here! This coming weekend's cold temps will give a lot of natives a run for their money.

The only way to make it work would be to have them on a tree with some type of heated cover for cold temps like we're about to have. You'd also have to water it several times per day during summer!

estación seca 02-09-2021 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 949595)
Sadly no, there are none that will make it through the winter here! This coming weekend's cold temps will give a lot of natives a run for their money....

Yikes!

How cold will it get away from the city center?

isurus79 02-09-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 949598)
Yikes!

How cold will it get away from the city center?

Shoot, our local forecasters are estimating temps will be a good 5-10 degrees colder than that. Subtract another 5 degrees just west of town and probably the same north of town. Counties east and south are usually a bit warmer.