Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Milteniopsis Junit slowly dying (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/105714-milteniopsis-junit-slowly-dying.html)

Jue333 01-15-2021 07:23 AM

Milteniopsis Junit slowly dying

3 Attachment(s)
Hello lovely people,

I have adored Orchids for years and my house is full of them mainly Phalenopsis. Recently have started buying more exotic kinds but I am finding them much harder to care for. My Milteniopsis has classic signs of distress, crinkled leaves and now yellowing. Have put her on a east facing window and I am watering once a week with rain or boiled water. Someone mentioned a stick method to see if I am over or under watering but I’m having trouble navigating. Any advice gratefully received, trying to get this plant to live long enough to see it flower!

Orchidtinkerer 01-15-2021 08:08 AM

where and how long ago did you buy this?

The reason I ask is because it is probably still suffering from when it was in the shop. Effects of bad care can take months to show fully.

I think they are generally seasonal root growth producers too so if it hasn't got many roots to rely on it might take up to a year before it produces more roots.

Can't help too much with the substrate, as I have struggled too much with my cold growing bulb producers in the past, couldn't find the right watering schedule so I've ended up with lecca in self watering pots that seems to work best for me now.

estación seca 01-15-2021 08:26 AM

Welcohe to the Orchid Board!

Pleated leaves are a sign of insufficient water during development. Miltoniopsis should not dry out. Watering once a week is probably not enough.

They prefer cool temperatures and high humidity.

Jue333 01-15-2021 08:39 AM

Thank you for the advise, I thought I was over watering it! Will up it’s moisture. I bought it from an exotic orchid grower and it was beautifully healthy when it arrived. I had it near a radiator so moved it from there to it’s current cooler spot. Will up the moisture....

monivik 01-18-2021 10:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was just going to post the same question, and then I saw this post. I am experiencing the same problem. I've also got a Miltoniaopsis. Yours doesn't look that bad though. I think mine is a bit worse off.

As you can see from the pictures, it's not just the accordion leaves and wrinkly pseudobulbs, but the leaves are rapidly turning yellow on the newest pseudobulbs. Had it been older ones I wouldn't worry. This has been going on for a bit now. I've cut some yellow leaves off already, but then yesterday noticed some more.

This orchid was actually doing surprisingly well for 18 months from the moment I got it. I was a bit worried whether it was a good idea or not getting it, as it has the reputation for being a fuzzy orchid. But for 18 months great! It bloomed twice, and lots of flowers.

The problem started when I decided to repot it. I was thinking 18 months it was sitting in the same medium it came in when I bought it and I noticed some white specks on the bark, which to me means that it was starting to mould. So I repotted it in small bark and perlite. I did this last October.

How often I water it depends on the time of the year. We have 4 seasons here, and it tends to dry out faster in the summer. I also change it's location depending on the season. I live in the Netherlands and winters are dark, not much sunlight, so since October it's by my east facing window. This window is also rather cool in the winter, which I thought this orchid could handle as it is a cool grower (as I understand). The temperature is between 18 C (64.4F) and 16C (60.8F). Is this too cold, should I move it to another location?

I have it right next to my standard Phalaenpsis, which I did on purpose to get that temperature drop. It's worked each and every one of them have flower spikes.

Maybe someone has a bit more advice?

estación seca 01-18-2021 10:49 AM

As mentioned, they should not dry out.

Orchidtinkerer 01-18-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 947722)
As mentioned, they should not dry out.

right but that is easy to say from someone who lives in a hot climate and these are grown in a cool climate as in a cool climate overwatering tends to just cause root rot which is worse.

So it isn't just as simple as increasing the watering which in most cases will cause even more problems.

I already mentioned what I have adapted to, airy lecca that stays damp all the time...

monivik 01-19-2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchidtinkerer (Post 947728)
right but that is easy to say from someone who lives in a hot climate and these are grown in a cool climate as in a cool climate overwatering tends to just cause root rot which is worse.

So it isn't just as simple as increasing the watering which in most cases will cause even more problems.

I already mentioned what I have adapted to, airy lecca that stays damp all the time...

Thank you. I see someone who also lives in the Netherlands. :) So true. I have found this to be an issue with many orchids, like Paphiopedilum and not to mention Macodes Petola jewel orchids which come in spaghnum moss from the seller. The tough part I find is keeping them moist but not too wet for too long, especially indeed during the colder part of the year. Hmmm, it is tricky but in some way I am determined to try and find the right watering schedule. I'm not there yet. Trial and error I guess. But it's not fun when you lose some of those more expensive orchids.