Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchids in Bloom (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-in-bloom/)
-   -   Anguloa clowesii (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-in-bloom/105679-anguloa-clowesii.html)

estación seca 01-10-2021 06:09 PM

Anguloa clowesii

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 149917

Attachment 149918

Attachment 149919

Attachment 149920

I've wanted to grow this since I was a teenager.

DeaC 01-11-2021 12:20 PM

Photo should be on a Hallmark card-so beautiful. Truly does look tulipy. Mini white daffodils also? :nod:

fishmom 01-11-2021 12:29 PM

Gorgeous color! And yes, much like a tulip!

estación seca 01-11-2021 01:31 PM

Those are paperwhite narcissus, Narcissus tazzeta. It and its hybrids are the only Narcissus that survive here. I have some that have been in the ground 35 years. I really like the powerful fragrance.

charlesf6 01-11-2021 07:53 PM

:biggrin: BRAVO!! :bowing
good job!

Dollythehun 01-12-2021 08:50 AM

Spring cheer on a dreary day! Great job, as usual ES.

jcec1 01-12-2021 10:43 AM

Very cool, have to agree they look very tulipy. It looks like a big plant?

estación seca 01-12-2021 11:22 AM

Yes, a large plant. It came bare root from Ecuagenera in July 2020. Only the largest pseudobulb had leaves, which sustained heat damage in transit. Those dropped last fall, as they normally do.

The pot is a standard 5 gallon black plastic nursery container. This is a large terrestrial plant that needs a large pot for its large root system. Think of it as a standard Cymbidium. Leaves can be more than 3 feet / 1 meter long. I potted it in about 90% large particle perlite and 10% bagged potting mix so the mixture would be well aerated but moisture retentive.

It is considered a cool to intermediate grower that prefers high humidity and very bright light. It has a distinct seasonal growth habit that must be respected. It flowers with new growth in early spring. It needs plentiful water when in leaf. Leaves turn brown and die in fall, and it is frightening to watch. In winter it needs some water to keep pseudobulbs plump, but kept too wet it may rot. Growth and buds appear from the base at the same time. That is a signal to begin watering and fertilising.

Due to the cool/intermediate and high humidity requirements I feared for many years I couldn't grow it. Then I read a blog describing putting the pot on the ground, where it's always cooler, in front of the evaporative cooler. I bought a small seedling some years ago and put it into a 1 quart/liter S/H container with LECA. I set it on the concrete slab in front of my evaporative cooler. It grew very well, even though my sunroom is often above 80 degrees F / 27C day and night in summer. If you use Advanced Search with my partial username estaci and the plant name you can see the thread. Then rats ate it. I have been looking for it ever since.

Hausermann's had small Ang. eburnea seedlings last summer, in 2"/5cm pots. I have one of those, too. I'll repot when it starts growing. They had Ang. clowesii seedlings last fall. They don't have either on their Web site now, but you could call and ask.

estación seca 01-13-2021 11:12 AM

Last night while watering I noticed my Anguloa eburnea seedling is just breaking new growth. I'll try to remember to photograph it when I'm home, and it's also time to repot.

camille1585 01-13-2021 11:24 AM

What a great looking plant, and at first I thought I was looking at yellow tulips! Very nice looking plant, and well done keeping it happy and blooming in your less than ideal climate. Seems that the cooling tricks work pretty well.

I'm sorry to hear about the demise of your first plant. When you say the rats ate it, I suppose you mean the packrat type?