Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Identification Forum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/)
-   -   Even Noids Need Names! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/10555-noids-names.html)

Phal-gal 04-12-2008 04:29 PM

Even Noids Need Names!

1 Attachment(s)
Hello fellow orchid fans! I am new to orchid-owning and would love some help in identifying some Phalaenopsis Noids that I have and love. I will attach some photos and hope that I will get some ideas from you on what their possible identities might be. Please, chime right in with your guess!!

JudyAttachment 11341

:scratchhead: actually I am having trouble resizing my attachments this time. If you could visit my other thread at "breaking the ice" forum and look for me under "Hello, and I need help with ID's", I would appreciate it. Thanks again!

tuvoc 04-12-2008 05:47 PM

Hi Judy. Identifying a NOID for sure is pretty much impossible, as there are so many out there that look a lot alike. However, mine seem to respond nicely to 'sweetheart' or 'baby'.

Kim

cowboy51278 04-12-2008 06:12 PM

my partner and I went shopping a month ago and there was this GIANT cymbidium at the grocery store that he had to have. which was funny cuz he hates my plants. so i went over to take a look and it was a NOID. i turned up my nose at it and walked away. he asked why i was being a snob about it, so i explained why we keep our plants labeled. he said fine, im buying it. we get it home and I find him digging around in my grow room looking for tags. then he walks over to the plant and puts it in the pot. curious to see what he was up to i walked over and looked. he had named the cymbidium 'Donald'. i almost wet myself i laughed so hard. so now we have cymbidium NOID 'Donald' in the sitting room at the top of the stairs.

Phal-gal 04-12-2008 06:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, Tuvoc and Cowboy!! Cowboy, your reply made me laugh out loud!! Thank you for that!

Judy

Dorothy 04-12-2008 07:48 PM

I love the name 'Pretty Boy NOID' :biggrin:

Phal-gal 04-17-2008 01:54 PM

Ok. I have come up with the standards...Cloyd Noid, Lloyd Noid, Floyd Noid. What about a female name that rhymes with Noid? Anyone?

kavanaru 04-17-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboy51278 (Post 98390)
my partner and I went shopping a month ago and there was this GIANT cymbidium at the grocery store that he had to have. which was funny cuz he hates my plants. so i went over to take a look and it was a NOID. i turned up my nose at it and walked away. he asked why i was being a snob about it, so i explained why we keep our plants labeled. he said fine, im buying it. we get it home and I find him digging around in my grow room looking for tags. then he walks over to the plant and puts it in the pot. curious to see what he was up to i walked over and looked. he had named the cymbidium 'Donald'. i almost wet myself i laughed so hard. so now we have cymbidium NOID 'Donald' in the sitting room at the top of the stairs.

:rofl: :rofl: Paul, that's great story... and reminded me of my partner at the Orchids show in Thun 2 weeks ago... he was complaining all the time because we were spending too much time in there, and all plants look the same (the only difference between Odontoglossum and Cattleya percivaliana is "the one with the big yellow flower and the one with the big purple stinky flowers"!), and also because I am "addicted and fanatic" with my plants and am spending too much money, and bla-bla-bla... (but hey, he decided to come on his own ;)) suddenly, he came back with a gorgeous Phrag. Jason Fischer: "I bought it because I liked the name Jason and the woman selling it was so nice!!! And I really paid attention for it to have an ID and a name, and the woman confirmed the name is valid! I explainned I would never buy a plant without ID for you, as I already learned they are not worth!" first I was :drool: then :cloud9: and then I had to laugh and explain him he bought a great plant, and that normally when buying plants from nurseries in orchids shows, all plants have an ID :)

so.. partners, NOIDS and orchids... :evil:

Phal-gal 04-17-2008 02:43 PM

I love this orchid humor!!

I did think of a girl' name for a noid. How about Ann, as in Ann Noid!!!

kavanaru 04-17-2008 03:09 PM

I forgot to add that the Phrag's gotten a special place in my collection ;) and its very own name: Phragmipedium Jason 'Thun' Fischer

('Tuna' in German is Thunfisch)

tuvoc 04-17-2008 05:10 PM

I guess Ima could work. Ima Noid.

Kim