Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cymbidium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/)
-   -   New Warmth Tolerant Cymbidiums (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/105442-warmth-tolerant-cymbidiums.html)

Fairorchids 12-10-2020 06:55 PM

New Warmth Tolerant Cymbidiums

2 Attachment(s)
Back in Nov 2017, and Mar 2018, I purchased approx. 200 Cymbidium plugs. Most were seed grown and the majority had Cymbidium Yai as one of the parents. The only photos I have been able to find of this parent shows a pink flower with dark red/burgundy lip.

The other parents were:
Cym. Donovan (usually a pure yellow flowr, with good flower count [25-30/inflorescence]).
Cym. Via Ambarino (usually a yellow, or yellow/orange flower).
and a few other.

I don't know enough about Cymbidium genetics to predict what to expect. I budded one plant in Jan 2019, but sold it before I saw the open flowers. I am budding a large number of plants now (in 4" pots), so I am finally getting to see some flowers.

Yai x Donovan
These are blooming very consistently in terms of color (warm yellow with a dusting of maroon), but with some variation in flower shape & flower count. Most have 15-20 flowers/inflorescence.

Yai x Via Ambarino
These are also very consistent in terms of color (orange). Here the flower count is lower though (most with 8-10 flowers/inflorescence).

Dollythehun 12-10-2020 07:31 PM

Very nice, Kim. I especially like the second. I assume these are standard size?

Orchid Whisperer 12-11-2020 12:40 PM

Both of those rate a WOW!

WaterWitchin 12-12-2020 10:22 AM

Indeed! Lovely color combos. And yes, these are standard size, or??

Fairorchids 12-12-2020 07:02 PM

No, they are 'table top' size. Ignoring total leaf length, from bottom of pot to the point where the leaves curve over, they are 20-24" tall. Some flower spikes do extend a little higher.

WaterWitchin 12-12-2020 08:41 PM

So, having said that Kim, and you got 200 plugs, ya gonna tell me and Dolly how to purchase one?

:biggrin:

Fairorchids 12-13-2020 12:06 PM

To Dolly & WW:

Except for the Cymbidiums, I do not carry enough inventory to justify a web store. I have been posting a couple of basic price lists though, but you need to mail me to confirm availability, pricing (I price plants according to size, number of spikes (if any) & estimated shipping cost.

In addition to the two hybrids I have documented here, I have 4-6 more crosses, where I have not seen the flowers yet (I have spikes coming along on several of them).

Leafmite 12-13-2020 12:31 PM

Those are very pretty! It is nice that they do not need a chill period, too, and are more manageable in size. Pretty cool!

Keysguy 12-14-2020 08:39 AM

Kim- Can you define what you expect "warmth tolerant" to mean in this case?

I have a Suu Basan I bought from SBOS three or four years ago that has yet to bloom so I'm still skeptical I can reliably bloom anything but hot growing species here. I have a friend here who has a lot of the old Everglades crosses and he maybe gets 1 to bloom once every 5 years or so. Not sure that's worth the bench space.

That being said, I bet they do great just north of the subtropics where standard Cyms would be challenged.

Dollythehun 12-14-2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keysguy (Post 944850)
Kim- Can you define what you expect "warmth tolerant" to mean in this case?

I have a Suu Basan I bought from SBOS three or four years ago that has yet to bloom so I'm still skeptical I can reliably bloom anything but hot growing species here. I have a friend here who has a lot of the old Everglades crosses and he maybe gets 1 to bloom once every 5 years or so. Not sure that's worth the bench space.

That being said, I bet they do great just north of the subtropics where standard Cyms would be challenged.

I'm on the same page you are Keysguy. Space is a premium. I've bought several now, a couple to small to bloom yet and a couple that should be ready. Even though they're warmth tolerant, all were chilled nicely this fall, now I'm waiting.