Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Oncidium spots HELP! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/105395-oncidium-spots-help.html)

RobinG 12-05-2020 12:41 PM

Oncidium spots HELP!

4 Attachment(s)
Just purchased this dgmra odontoglossum shibumi purple rain online. I’m concerned. Does anyone know if this is something to worry about? Virus? Fungus? Sun damage?

Roberta 12-05-2020 03:06 PM

It looks to me like old damage - fungal maybe, or even just getting hit by cold water. Not virus. Best to just observe it, to see if the spots get any bigger. (One trick is to draw around the spots with a Sharpie, easier to see if there is a change) If they get bigger, there may be something that needs treating. If not, you can safely ignore.

RobinG 12-05-2020 03:19 PM

Oh good. I hope you’re right. I purchased from a reputable seller. Thank you!

Orchidtinkerer 12-05-2020 03:21 PM

most likely old insect damage, everywhere they had a little nibble the leaf will develop a brown spot. Go with what Roberta has suggested and hope the plant grows out of it with good care, not much more you can do. The new growth looks healthy and unaffected so that is a plus.

estación seca 12-05-2020 03:43 PM

A lot of Oncidium hybrids with cool growing ancestors have spots most of the time.

RobinG 12-06-2020 07:09 AM

Thank you all for your expertise. I appreciate it. :)

Ispahan48 12-06-2020 07:55 PM

Spotty foliage is all just part of the territory when growing many types of oncidiums and intergenerics. It is usually fungal and doesn't necessarily correlate with presence or absence of virus. At least that has been my experience. I test every new orchid I buy and have had many oncidiums with crappy-looking leaves test negative, as well as many oncidiums with crappy-looking leaves test positive.

RobinG 12-07-2020 02:54 PM

Ha - reliable tests. Thanks for the info.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

No, I get it. Thanks.

katsucats 12-07-2020 07:32 PM

It's odd. My Sharry Baby and Burr. Nelly Isler have spots like that. I've tested them multiple times and they always came back negative. But none of my Oncidium species have ever developed such spots, warm or cold. So I wonder if some time in the decades since these classic hybrids were made, they picked up something along the way. Whatever it is, it looks suspicious as hell, but at least in my case, it isn't ORSV or CymMV.

RobinG 12-07-2020 08:22 PM

Thanks so much. It’s in ‘quarantine’ just in case. I reached out to seller with pictures. Waiting to hear what they say.