Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   ONCIDIUM - how to get DOUBLE SPIKES? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/104799-oncidium-double-spikes.html)

m.dlny 09-22-2020 03:24 PM

ONCIDIUM - how to get DOUBLE SPIKES?

Greetings, dear orchid lovers and enthusiasts,

My oncidium of two and a half years has been flowering every year, giving one spike each time.

Just recently I came across a statement (cannot even remember where) that if an oncidium has good conditions, it should give two spikes, one on each side of the flowering bulb. This got me thinking - maybe my plant has a bigger blossoming potential?

My search has not yielded any results on the subject, hence, I am here.

Does anyone know which factors contribute to a plant growing two spikes? Is there a way to stimulate such growth? Does it depend on the type of plant?

Any information and thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated!

estación seca 09-22-2020 05:28 PM

Bigger plants. More time.

fishmom 09-22-2020 05:35 PM

I've had it happen, but only on older plants which have developed large pseudobulbs for the variety. Avoid dividing plants if you can. Older plants have bigger bulbs, or what estacion seca said.

Ray 09-22-2020 05:46 PM

You might take a few minutes to read this:

Make Your Plants Bloom

m.dlny 09-23-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 937365)
Bigger plants. More time.

Thank you for your input! I am impatient, something to work on )))

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmom (Post 937367)
I've had it happen, but only on older plants which have developed large pseudobulbs for the variety. Avoid dividing plants if you can. Older plants have bigger bulbs, or what estacion seca said.

Thank you! Yes, that makes very good sense. I am not division-happy, so plan to let it grow - for now it only has three bulbs, so, suppose, it is still a fairly young plant. As I said above - patience is not a virtue of mine, but it seems I have no choice in the matter ))

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 937370)
You might take a few minutes to read this:

Make Your Plants Bloom

Ray, thank you so much! A great article that explains the basics very clearly (I am a visual!). The plant is healthy and growing fine, but maybe just... I have not fertilized it at all (some recommend it, while others caution against it) and have been very cautious with watering for fear of rots. Perhaps, it is time to review and change its conditions to provide more nutrients and opportunities for it to have more energy available for the ongoing processes.