Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   COVID Supply Chain Issues (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/104724-covid-supply-chain-issues.html)

Ray 09-16-2020 09:13 AM

COVID Supply Chain Issues

Anyone looking for Besgrow sphagnum is probably aware that their supply is WAY behind, making it close to impossible to get.

My frustrations are all packaging related. I'm really happy with the bottles I use for KelpMax, and then in July when I ordered them, I was told my supplier was out of caps for them. Fortunately, I had some extras and was told they would get more around mid-August, but they were almost all already sold. I ordered the balance of their incoming stock, but I still haven't gotten them, here in mid-September. I asked when they would get more... "November".

I found that another supplier that had some due in about a week from then, so I ordered two cases (1800 caps), which I have received. Problem solved.

Nope, the bottles are now out of stock, with no ETA for more. Fortunately, I found the same item in black and did get those in, but I have to say (my old marketing background kicking in) that my green labels on a black bottle with a white cap looks awful. I also know from experience that changing a package leads some people to think the product has changed, so I've started putting "rest assured" labels on the paperwork.

And today, after ordering them several weeks ago, I am told the jars I use for K-Lite are back-ordered...

It's 5 o'clock somewhere....

Mr.Fakename 09-16-2020 09:26 AM

Wait, you're assembling all the bottles and packages yourself?

Damn that's some work, I thought you were "just" sourcing, importing and reselling your products.

I wonder if it might be doable to 3D print small things like bottle caps, as an emergency measure.

Pretend the black/green/white bottles are a special limited edition, who knows :roll:

DirtyCoconuts 09-16-2020 09:33 AM

What a headache.

And, while it is not your ideal, almost every bottle at the hydro shop is black white and green so I doubt most customers would even flinch

Would the black one theoretically keep the contents better bc of less light transmission? I mean, it’s in my fridge so the light is minimal lol

Ray 09-16-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Fakename (Post 936580)
Wait, you're assembling all the bottles and packages yourself?

Yes, the material is delivered by the pallet - 72 x 2.5-gallon jugs. I repackage into 1-, 4- & 10L.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 936582)
Would the black one theoretically keep the contents better bc of less light transmission?

Probably, but the walls of the bottles are thick enough and pigmented enough that it isn't a problem with the white ones, either. The jugs coming from the producer are white and about the same wall thickness.

kvet 09-16-2020 11:27 AM

The smaller kelpmax bottle is awesome: it has a sharp lip so you can pour out small amounts without dribble. Hope you get the issues resolved soon!

Ray 09-16-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvet (Post 936596)
The smaller kelpmax bottle is awesome: it has a sharp lip so you can pour out small amounts without dribble. Hope you get the issues resolved soon!

The black bottles are made in the same molds as my standard white ones, so should pour the same.

Dollythehun 09-16-2020 07:06 PM

Darn! That moss is STILL out of stock. Isurus79 suggested it months ago and it was out of stock then!

Ray 09-16-2020 07:27 PM

I have several mni-bales, if anyone is desperate.

Dollythehun 09-16-2020 07:41 PM

I had to settle for lesser quality. My bail doesn't look too mini either. I wish I'd known!!!

Diane56Victor 09-16-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 936592)
I repackage into 1-, 4- & 10L.

Can I ask if you decant using a machine with measuring capability?
My friend has a small business, she blends oils for perfume and therapeutic oils.
Her business is starting to grow and she is looking for a machine that could measure out 10ml from a 'master' jar to invidual bottles.