Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Bulbophyllum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/bulbophyllum-alliance/)
-   -   BULBOPHYLLUM TAIWANENSE (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/bulbophyllum-alliance/104640-bulbophyllum-taiwanense.html)

nzadro 09-06-2020 10:26 PM

BULBOPHYLLUM TAIWANENSE

Hello,

I wanted to add this bulbo to my exo terra terrarium (~80-95% humidity, 75-80F), however, I can not find any information whether or not this particular bulbo needs a cold drop to help with blooms.

Unfortunately, I cannot drop temps in this terrarium, in general I am unsure how anyone drops temps with enclosed spaces! Either way, I mainly grow begonias & major temp drops with the high humidity could lead to powdery mildew (a big no no!!!).

Thanks friends
Natalie

Roberta 09-07-2020 03:05 PM

There isn't a lot on its habitat, but I think enough to make an educated guess that it is tropical (and therefore wouldn't need or want a temperature drop)... IOSPE states that it grows in southern Taiwan, at elevations below 1000 m. So probably pretty warm and humid all year around would be my suspicion. From the photos, a really nice species!

estación seca 09-07-2020 03:17 PM

pheli who lives in Taiwan and posts here has shown photos of it. Use the Search function in the top menu to find his posts.

nzadro 09-07-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 935547)
There isn't a lot on its habitat, but I think enough to make an educated guess that it is tropical (and therefore wouldn't need or want a temperature drop)... ISOPE states that it grows in southern Taiwan, at elevations below 1000 m. So probably pretty warm and humid all year around would be my suspicion. From the photos, a really nice species!

Thanks Roberta. I had a similar idea with it being tropical so the drop isnt necessary. I plan to keep it in the terrarium so it has good high humidity! I'll post a picture once I order and receive it from Hausermann. BTW, how would you isolate a high humidity orchid prior to adding to a terrarium?

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 935553)
pheli who lives in Taiwan anr posts here has shown photos of it. Use the Search function in the top menu to find his posts.

Thanks ES! I will check out his posts!

Roberta 09-07-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nzadro (Post 935600)
BTW, how would you isolate a high humidity orchid prior to adding to a terrarium?

A small plant could be put in a plastic cup with a bit of damp sphagnum and maybe a top of plastic wrap with a few holes, for a week or so. If mounted, there's not really a lot of places for nasties to hide. If potted, a repot would probably be in order. Then I don't think you have to "quarantine" for very long. But other people, who actually grow in terrariums would be a better source on that than I would be.

nzadro 09-07-2020 10:37 PM

It is coming mounted so I will keep an eye for a couple days before adding to the terrarium. I trust Hausermann, but still. Can't be too careful!