Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Connoisseur's corner (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/connoisseur-s-corner/)
-   -   Any macaron masters out there? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/connoisseur-s-corner/104508-macaron-masters.html)

Dorchid 08-23-2020 01:28 PM

Any macaron masters out there?

2 Attachment(s)
My first try at macarons. These are a bit dense and chewy but look great. I may have whipped the meringue a bit too stiff before adding it to the dry ingredients. Any tips on getting that light airy texture in the final product?

Attachment 147133Attachment 147134

DirtyCoconuts 08-23-2020 09:08 PM

I always think these are macaroons and I am always shocked when these are what I get lol

Those look amazing. Nicely done

estación seca 08-23-2020 09:25 PM

Practice practice practice. You guessed right, overwhipping.

Dorchid 08-23-2020 10:44 PM

Yeah, I’m definitely kinda lost...just gonna keep playing around. They’re tricky for sure.

WaterWitchin 08-24-2020 11:28 AM

They ARE tricky! As ES says, practice makes better, just like making bread.

You are starting to add the sugar once it reaches soft stage peaks, then continue adding the sugar and whipping until stiff peaks, right? Perhaps over-whipping at the beginning before starting to add the sugar? Just a suggestion...

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

PS And starting out with the egg whites at room temperature, right? Cold egg whites don't perform the same way. A critical step.

Dorchid 08-24-2020 01:52 PM

Actually, I start adding the granulated sugar when the eggs reach foamy opacity a few seconds after adding the salt and continue to whip until soft peaks are formed. Then I add the flavor/color and continue to whip until stiff peaks. However, I think i may have whipped them a tad long ass the peaks were really stiff...ie, a lot of the meringue stayed in the whisk attachment as opposed to the bowl. After a bit more research, it also sounds like cooking too hot can also lead to too chewy a texture as well. I have a gas oven and need to get a thermometer. My second and 3rd batch didn't turn out well but I used overnight aged eggs on them and overwhipped and then underwhipped, so had better luck with room temp eggs aged a few hours. You all have any recipes you like in particular?

Mr.Fakename 09-07-2020 11:41 AM

A bit late to the party, but do you understand French by any chance?

If you do I can scan you a good recipe; translation is doable but won't look as readable as a book page :(

camille1585 09-07-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Fakename (Post 935516)
A bit late to the party, but do you understand French by any chance?

If you do I can scan you a good recipe; translation is doable but won't look as readable as a book page :(

oooooh, I'm interested!!! :biggrin:

Mr.Fakename 09-07-2020 12:55 PM

Okay nevermind the previous comment; the easy solution to having it look readable is to not post as a forum reply.

How's that?
Google Docs - create and edit documents online, for free.

camille1585 09-07-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Fakename (Post 935522)
Okay nevermind the previous comment; the easy solution to having it look readable is to not post as a forum reply.

How's that?
Google Docs - create and edit documents online, for free.

I have to request access from you to read it, so I don't know if those without google accounts will be able to open it at all. I'll send you the request anyway, and up to you if you want to do that or find another way.