Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vendor Feedback (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vendor-feedback/)
-   -   Diamond Orchids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vendor-feedback/104435-diamond-orchids.html)

Keysguy 08-14-2020 09:09 PM

Diamond Orchids

Just want to throw out a big shout-out to Peter Lin of Diamond Orchids in the LA area.

Just received my plant (Catt. dowiana Aurea seedling) and it's a great looking little plant. Came by USPS in 3 days (pretty darn good all the way across the US from CA to NH). Thumbs up to Peter for both his growing and packaging skills!

theorchidapartment 09-22-2020 09:29 PM

I second this recommendation enthusiastically! I got a beautiful Angraecum distichum and Dendrobium lichenastrum from him. Great prices and service.

My Green Pets 09-23-2020 02:59 PM

Interesting! I have seen their postings on eBay and wondered about them. Isn't the owner of Big Leaf Orchids also named Peter Lin?

theorchidapartment 09-23-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Green Pets (Post 937496)
Isn't the owner of Big Leaf Orchids also named Peter Lin?

Seems to be a different Peter Lin, from what I can tell!

BrassavolaStars 09-23-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keysguy (Post 933191)
Just want to throw out a big shout-out to Peter Lin of Diamond Orchids in the LA area.

Just received my plant (Catt. dowiana Aurea seedling) and it's a great looking little plant. Came by USPS in 3 days (pretty darn good all the way across the US from CA to NH). Thumbs up to Peter for both his growing and packaging skills!

If you got this from his eBay store, you may have outbid me. I can also attest that diamond orchids is outstanding.

SaraJean 09-23-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Green Pets (Post 937496)
Interesting! I have seen their postings on eBay and wondered about them. Isn't the owner of Big Leaf Orchids also named Peter Lin?

One is Peter Lin and this one is Peter T. Lin. We had him come speak at an OS meeting a couple of years ago and he was great. I’ve picked up several things from him over the years (from that meeting, his website, and eBay) and the plants have been outstanding. A lot of really awesome minis. If I’m remembering correctly I think he some greenhouse space at SVO.

Keysguy 09-23-2020 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theorchidapartment (Post 937498)
Seems to be a different Peter Lin, from what I can tell!

2 different people. I in TX (Big Leaf) and the other (Diamond) is in CA.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrassavolaStars (Post 937500)
If you got this from his eBay store, you may have outbid me. I can also attest that diamond orchids is outstanding.

Nope. But here's how it happened.

I saw one on ebay a few months ago that I bid on and lost.
I sent Peter an email asking if he had any more but that was the last of the batch he had. Good news was he said he had a batch of smaller seedling that should be ready late summer-fall and give him a call if I was interested. I did and got one.

Roberta 09-23-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraJean (Post 937531)
One is Peter Lin and this one is Peter T. Lin. We had him come speak at an OS meeting a couple of years ago and he was great. I’ve picked up several things from him over the years (from that meeting, his website, and eBay) and the plants have been outstanding. A lot of really awesome minis. If I’m remembering correctly I think he some greenhouse space at SVO.

You did remember correctly, Peter T. does have GH space at SVO, in addition to what he has at home (which he long since outgrew) He breeds beautiful mini-Catts (many Sophronitis coccinea hybrids especially), as well as the wide range of other things that he sells. And he is a terrific speaker, has a bunch of talks, the list keeps growing. (I'm sure he does Zoom talks, for those who are looking for orchid club speakers these days.)

Peter Lin (Big Leaf in TX) mostly does Phals (and has an excellent reputation), Peter T. Lin (Diamond Orchids in CA) sells pretty much everything else. (Maybe he has a few species Phals, but that's not his focus)

SaraJean 09-24-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 937555)
He breeds beautiful mini-Catts (many Sophronitis coccinea hybrids especially), as well as the wide range of other things that he sells.

I’ve been really impressed with the bloom quality of what I’ve purchased from him in the past (and I’d be remiss not to mention overall health and vigor have been excellent). I’ve recently been been getting into the mini Catts and have a box coming in from Peter tomorrow :D

thefish1337 09-24-2020 12:27 PM

I have recently ordered from diamond orchids on ebay, I was very impressed with the quality and parentage of the plant I received (it was another primary hybrid involving dowiana)