Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cymbidium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/)
-   -   Cym Valentines Love (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/104393-cym-valentines-love.html)

JScott 08-10-2020 07:25 PM

Cym Valentines Love

3 Attachment(s)
This will be the first of my new Cymbidiums from The Orchid People of Hawaii to bloom (I highly recommend them, but you have to buy at least 5 plants). I got 5 summer blooming warm growing Cymbs from him, and this is the first one that will bloom. It had 7 buds, but two of them blasted, but that's not surprising considering all the change it has been through.

I've seen this one in person before. I love the green ones with the red lip, so I'm super excited about this one. The spikes on the other four are coming along nicely, some of them starting to show buds. I'll post more pictures when the flowers open!

DirtyCoconuts 08-11-2020 12:05 AM

Niiice!!!

What plants did you buy again?

I am really liking these cyms lol

Roberta 08-11-2020 12:08 AM

Looking forward to the flowers. Looked it up, one parent is Cym. Peter Pan - a classic, miniature summer bloomer. Well done!

JScott 08-11-2020 12:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 932770)
Niiice!!!

What plants did you buy again?

I am really liking these cyms lol

These. A couple of them are nice pink with standard Cymbidium form and look just like standards, except they are smaller. I think Elderberry Wine and Vanessa Amorosi are the two I'm talking about. But you can go check out his website, he has pictures of all of them.

JScott 08-11-2020 12:29 AM

I highly recommend. I'm glad I bought 5. Once these bloom, I might just buy 5 more haha.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

And these things grow like weeds. Maybe in a couple years we can exchange some divisions.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 932773)
Looking forward to the flowers. Looked it up, one parent is Cym. Peter Pan - a classic, miniature summer bloomer. Well done!

Yes, I got that one on your advice, actually. And because I really like it. But I did look up the parents and saw one was Peter Pan, and I knew that was one of the ones I was getting because of that. Several of the others have Peter Pan further down in their geneology.

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

I'm excited about Black Peter 'Captain Midnight'. The color is just so dark and rich.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

He prefers to sell wholesale. I'm thinking about opening my garden center again this spring. You'd think in an area as big as DFW, there would be good places to get orchids, but all we have are the usual grocery store fare. I'm wondering if I order like 20 of these if I open my garden center if I can sell them. They'd have to be in bloom, and I don't know if he will have any in bloom in April through June, but if he does, I might give it a shot. I bet I could sell them, just for the novelty of them. Probably a lot of people here have never even seen a Cymbidium.