Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Is a bathroom a good place to keep an orchid? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/10404-bathroom-orchid.html)

datousteve 04-08-2008 03:59 PM

Is a bathroom a good place to keep an orchid?

I figure the room has moisture (due to the shower) and sufficient sun if you have a window. What you guys think? :rofl:

Royal 04-08-2008 04:07 PM

How many showers do you take per day? :lol: My bathroom gets pretty misty, but dries out fast. If you have a window, I don't see why it would be any different than a kitchen windowsill.

justatypn 04-08-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalOrchids (Post 96920)
How many showers do you take per day? :lol:

:coverlaugh:

I have a few friends who grow an orchid or two in their bathrooms. Light and humidity is your main resource to keep an orchid :D :D :D

I just don't hang out long enough in the bathroom to see how fast it drys out :coverlaugh:

Ross 04-08-2008 04:17 PM

Any room that gets sufficient light for the spp you plan on growing is a viable candidate. I still don't sweat the humidity for mine. If I have plants that demand or expect high humidity, they have to live in the orchidarium.

Tindomul 04-08-2008 04:38 PM

My bathroom has no windows. Only mold grows there. hehe. I would say yes.

jhill 04-08-2008 04:45 PM

I think it would be ok if you don't use a ton of hair spray and have plenty of light. jhill

Ross 04-08-2008 06:21 PM

I don't use hair spray - I don't have much hair! :evil: :biggrin:

datousteve 04-08-2008 06:25 PM

Who uses hairsprays nowadays anyways?

Mahon 04-08-2008 06:37 PM

...I'd only suggest pulling the plants out when spikes are visible. The gases in a bathroom may cause bud loss or yellowing of the spike. I've had it happen before in two bathrooms. VERY good place to start initiating spikes, though! :D

In Pleurothallids, I find that the plants are too susceptible to the gases and will show a steady (if not irreversible) decline in health...

I have no idea what gases they are (besides out the 'other end'), but put a brass coin in there and somewhere else in the house, and see the brass coin tarnish like no other! Sometimes, it may just take a certain day... maybe it's all just a Florida thing?

-Pat

josterha 04-08-2008 07:12 PM

My bathroom window sill (in the shower) was the home of my first orchids. I grow phals there pretty well. I have to believe that the shower is a major boon to the plants. I had a keiki growing without sphag for more than a year before its spike died. (That was before I knew what a keiki was.) Anyway, the roots never dried out.

- John