Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Oncidium/Odontoglossum Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/)
-   -   Oncidium makai (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/oncidium-odontoglossum-alliance/103859-oncidium-makai.html)

estación seca 06-20-2020 01:31 PM

Oncidium makai

I got a set of back bulbs from my society labeled Oncidium makai. It is likely an intergeneric. It has large, elongated pseudobulbs, so I suspect Brassia in the ancestry.

I can't find it when I search on "makai." The RHS shows no Oncidium makai, but it does show a C. (Lc.) and a Den. with this name.

Changing the spelling to "maikai" I find a Brassanthe (formerly Bc.) Nothing else.

Does anybody know what I might have?

Thanks.

Diane56Victor 06-20-2020 05:46 PM

I have a Bc. Maikai 'Miyumi', its a good candidate. There is I believe another Bc. Maikai, this time called 'Louise'. There are several other named versions of Maikai but Miyumi and Louise are the best known.
From what Ive read the Miyumi fades over several days while the Louise keeps better colour.
Fragrance is jasmine like...so Ive been told..still waiting for mine to flower.
In my notes I have mine marked as a primary hybrid,
Brassavola nodosa x Cattleya bowringiana

It has had the name change to Brassanthe (Bsn.) now. I have yet to update my notes to the current name, by the time I get to it there may have been yet another change!

estación seca 06-20-2020 06:01 PM

Thank you... I have an Oncidium that says makai on the label, not a Cattleya.

fishmom 06-20-2020 06:07 PM

Was it at the recent meeting? With only 25 people there, you should be able to track the donor down. Can you send out a message to the group asking for information?

Thanks for the link to Alan's talk, by the way, as well as your excellent notes.

estación seca 06-20-2020 06:34 PM

This is from last fall. Our club took in a number of plants from anonymous donors and sold them cheaply. I will take a photo and label to the member who organized the sale; maybe she will recognize the handwriting.

Roberta 06-20-2020 07:10 PM

I wonder if the name on the tag is a actually cultivar name... sometimes people play fast and loose with those as though they were the name of the plant... making it pretty impossible to track down since even on awarded plants, I don't think there are any searches on cultivar name independent of grex.

estación seca 06-20-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 926030)
I wonder if the name on the tag is a actually cultivar name... sometimes people play fast and loose with those as though they were the name of the plant... making it pretty impossible to track down since even on awarded plants, I don't think there are any searches on cultivar name independent of grex.

That's what I figured. I wonder whether "makai" or "maikai" is a house identification name used by one of the Hawaii growers, the way Carter & Holmes use "Mendenhall"? "Makai" means "in the direction of the ocean." "Maikai" means "really good." The name on the tag is spelled makai.

papayj 06-20-2020 11:00 PM

Actually, there's a hybrid named Oncidesa Makalii.
(Onc. maculatum x Gomesa sarcodes)

Oncidesa Makalii

And Gom. sarcodes is known to have spindle shaped pseudobulb.