Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Miscellaneous & Other Genera (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miscellaneous-and-other-genera/)
-   -   Sobralia season! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miscellaneous-and-other-genera/103759-sobralia-season.html)

Roberta 06-12-2020 01:35 PM

Sobralia season!

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the first Sobralias of the season to bloom for me. These are two different plants of the same unnamed cross, Sobralia powellii x Sobralia macrantha f. alba . Nice example of genetic variation.

Flowers only last a couple of days, but will produce flowers sequentially over about 2 months. I see buds developing quickly on several other plants, I'll add to the thread as they bloom.

In frost-free areas, these can grow as landscape plants if they have good drainage. Not at my house, the soil is heavy adobe clay. So small bark in pots, but they don't need repotting very often because although they can grow epiphytically, they are pretty much terrestrials.

DirtyCoconuts 06-12-2020 03:36 PM

wow!!
well done my friend!

and if you happen to divide any of these and want to see how they do as landscape plants in a frost free environment with good drainage...:briggrin: i might know a guinea pig

Roberta 06-12-2020 04:09 PM

Will definitely be happy to share when I get to dividing. Something I don't look forward to, but have a couple of them where I will probably have to bite the bullet. One of them I got off a society table, root ball was sort of squared off... like it was gently divided with a table saw. It has taken off, grown new roots and will be a candidate if I can figure out how to deal with the very large pot. The root ball of these tends to get very compacted... the only way to divide is to slice through it. But it doesn't seem to matter. Weeds.

A story about a Sobralia xantholeuca that I ordered from Andy (he brought it to a show for me) ... closely related to S. macrantha, which grows very easily outside for me. But the one from Andy was labeled "I" rather than "I/C" or "W/I/C" ... I asked him was this warmer-growing than macrantha such that i should worry about it... he said, "No, but if it has a "C" on it people in south Florida won't buy them. So I learned that "I" on an Andy tag could mean "Intermediate", like not below 50 deg F., it could mean that he didn't know what it needed when he got it so started intermediate (where practically everything will grow) and later discovered that it could grow cooler but the computer wasn't updated, or it could mean that he didn't want to discourage Floridians. So, "I" on his tags means "Inquire".

estación seca 06-13-2020 03:14 PM

The South American vendors sell several very dwarf Sobralias, like S. fragrans, which fits nicely in a 1 quart/liter S/H pot. People are trying to breed small hybrids. I've seen them at the Pacific Orchid Expo.

Roberta 06-13-2020 04:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have those too... Sob. callosa is particularly cute. Flowers are really short lived, but brilliant (and sequential) I think that one is about the smallest. (Also relatively warm-growing... I am growing it outside now, but it was also doing well in the greenhouse) I had to up-pot it to a 6 inch basket from 4 inch. On the other hand I had (and eventually lost) Sob. caloglossa which grew to about 15 ft (5 m) The "weedy" ones where I live are Sob. macarantha, its hybrids and relatives. (I think I lost Sob. caloglossa it because of waiting too long to repot when it needed it... too much of a physical challenge)

Here's Sob. callosa, for those who mioght want a Sobralia that fits on a windowsill.

Dollythehun 06-13-2020 05:39 PM

Interesting and new to me. 15' yikes!

Roberta 06-13-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollythehun (Post 924769)
Interesting and new to me. 15' yikes!

Andy Phillips claims that he got one of these monsters into a Prius (Not Sob caloglossa, too stiff, think it might have been S. mandonii which is a little more flexible with the stake removed).

That's the challenge for these tall ones... how does one get it home when one doesn't have a truck?

estación seca 06-13-2020 05:59 PM

Can you just whack off the tops a couple of feet above the pot? I bet something that vigorous would come back from the roots.

Dollythehun 06-13-2020 06:02 PM

Spoken like a true gardener.

Roberta 06-13-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 924771)
Can you just whack off the tops a couple of feet above the pot? I bet something that vigorous would come back from the roots.

Don't think so...I have never seen rooting on the stem. Not a Vanda...