Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cypripedium Alliance - others (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-others/)
-   -   Phrag. schlimii (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cypripedium-alliance-others/103729-phrag-schlimii.html)

Keysguy 06-09-2020 11:13 AM

Phrag. schlimii

2 Attachment(s)
DC's new post on Phrag. humboldtii made me think of an interesting picture I just got a few days ago from a well known orchidist (I'd say world renowned but he might blush) who is a compatriot in the KWOS. He travels frequently to Colombia and always manages to squeeze in some hikes into the mountains to see what's blooming. Well, this trip has lasted a little longer than usual as they got trapped in March by the Covid shutdown and won't be able to get home until international flights resume. Anyway, needless to say he's had way more hiking time than he had planned.
He knows I love my Phrags so he sent me these pics of a schlimii growth he found on a rock in the middle of a cascading mountainside stream. If that one picture of the rock doesn't tell you all you need to know to grow that species, I don't know what would. Is that not spectacular?

Ray 06-09-2020 11:14 AM

You referring to Jay?

Keysguy 06-09-2020 11:15 AM

Yes sir.

DirtyCoconuts 06-09-2020 12:58 PM

Wow!! that is really In Situ!!!! spectacular indeed

rbarata 06-09-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

You referring to Jay?
Who's Jay?

That photo tells me a lot, except for temps.
But it's a really nice photo, indeed!:)

camille1585 06-09-2020 02:04 PM

Fantastic photos! I love seeing orchids in the wild, there's something so special about seeing them as part of a larger ecosystem.
Looks liek this phrag would very much enjoy S/H culture with very frequent flushing.

rbarata 06-09-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 924087)
Fantastic photos! I love seeing orchids in the wild, there's something so special about seeing them as part of a larger ecosystem.

Yes, I also like it, not only to take info about its culture but also because of something I can't explain.:blushing:

SouthPark 06-09-2020 02:44 PM

Fantastic shot KG! That provides very good information too.

In the tropics here, my Grouville and Elizabeth Castle are doing great in 100% scoria, which is 'sort of' like that. I grow my paphs in scoria too (aside from the phrags).

Ray 06-09-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarata (Post 924078)
Who's Jay?

Jay Pfahl, who is wholly rsponsibe for IOSPE.

rbarata 06-10-2020 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 924152)
Jay Pfahl, who is wholly rsponsibe for IOSPE.

Thank you, Ray.
I always thought IOSPE was managed by a group of people.