Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pet Depot (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pet-depot/)
-   -   Cat "Assisting" with orchids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pet-depot/103683-cat-assisting-orchids.html)

DrDawn 06-04-2020 09:00 PM

Cat "Assisting" with orchids

1 Attachment(s)
My cat loves "helping" with my orchid hobby. Most of my plants have a tell-tale vampire holes where she's tasted all of their leaves. She mostly leaves them alone now, but occasionally she gets exited to help. So here's a thread of some antics (pics, videos, photobombs, etc)

[[The video won't post, throws an error about security token?]]

neophyte 06-04-2020 10:18 PM

cute!! :)

SouthPark 06-05-2020 12:42 PM

That's total cuteness hehehehe. I love that shot.

DirtyCoconuts 06-05-2020 01:00 PM

that unapologetic look is great...yeah i tried 'em, my right to, so what??

Chris17 06-05-2020 09:39 PM

Mine does the same, and is no longer allowed in the room where I grow orchids.

Leafmite 06-06-2020 12:31 AM

My dog loved my orchids, too, and always would smell the flowers and 'help' me when I was doing anything with them. It was really, really cute. Then, after a few years of being my orchid buddy, she had a few 'shredding episodes'. Now I keep them out of her reach when they are indoors and accompany her outside when they are outside for the summer.

DeaC 06-06-2020 10:39 AM

I have a spray bottle and I'm not afraid to use it! All my cats were trained this way and except for the rare occasional tip off the windowsill I'm happy its worked. :evil:

SouthPark 06-06-2020 06:43 PM

I definitely didn't know (until had read some reports such as this on orchidboard) about cats chewing on or biting orchid leaves.

My cat is/was a neighbourhood stray one, in our neighbourhood - and has never had any tendency to touch or go for the orchids ------ pretty fortunate here. Two of her sleeping spots are in the orchid growing area. It never occurred to me that cats would or could damage orchids - until seeing those reports.

But ------ I'm thinking that - if the situation had been different ----- one possible method would be to spray some hot chilly/hot-pepper mixture onto leaves. Maybe one unsavoury moment from a chew on the leaves - and will never touch the orchid leaves again. Not aimed at 'harming' our nice pets ------ but just as a memory deterrent thing.

DrDawn 06-10-2020 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I got in a couple of orders so I was doing a lot of plant unpacking. As usual, I had company...

Fairorchids 06-12-2020 09:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the reason that I cannot bring plants home from the greenhouse.

When you are a goddess (Athena), you set your own rules: