Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Cyrtorchis? Are they good for the collection? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/103665-cyrtorchis-collection.html)

BrassavolaStars 06-02-2020 11:57 PM

Cyrtorchis? Are they good for the collection?

Hello All,

I have recently "discovered" a new genus for sale for cultivation called Cyrtorchis. It looks to be a type of Angraecum.

Should I get one? Is there a particularly good or noteworthy species I should look into? I really like nice fragrances.

So far, I see three for sale:Cyrtorchis arcuate, Cyrtorchis praetermissa, and Cyrtorchis chailluana. Is one of these particularly interesting or fragrant?

Roberta 06-03-2020 01:09 AM

Of the three, I have Cyrtorchis chailluana. I don't have fragrance in my notes, but if subtle I could have missed it, or just neglected to note it. But it is a really beautiful flower - and the slightly wavy leaves are also attractive.

Another Angraecoid you might find interesting is Podangis dactyloceras. The flowers are translucent and crystalline, and look very fragile - but actually, are relatively long-lasting. I don't recall fragrance (again, I may have just neglected to note it), but really lovely.

DirtyCoconuts 06-03-2020 08:20 AM

Translucent and crystalline!?!? Wow

Roberta 06-03-2020 10:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 923203)
Translucent and crystalline!?!? Wow

Something like this... and both this and any of the Cyrtorchis are warm growers.

WaterWitchin 06-03-2020 10:37 AM

Oh my! I feel a need coming on....

Roberta 06-03-2020 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 923216)
Oh my! I feel a need coming on....

Just to complete the picture, here's my Cyrtorchis chailluana. And, they're both small.

DirtyCoconuts 06-03-2020 11:01 AM

it starts as an itch really....like one that is just out of reach.....then you try to ignore it and then you are calling around asking if they have plants that are not on the website LOL

Roberta 06-03-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyCoconuts (Post 923221)
it starts as an itch really....like one that is just out of reach.....then you try to ignore it and then you are calling around asking if they have plants that are not on the website LOL

Particularly check Cal Orchid - they typically have lots of Angraecoids. And their plants are excellent.

WaterWitchin 06-03-2020 11:30 AM

Nope, not there, or anywhere I can find in US... yet. DC needs to go searching. I have to start my pasta sauce.

Afid 06-03-2020 12:00 PM

Botanica ltd. has some Cyrtorchis I think.. they usually have tons of Angrecoids for sale.