Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   BLC golf green “hair pig” - rotting pseudobulb? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/103656-blc-golf-green-hair-pig-rotting-pseudobulb.html)

hyena 06-02-2020 01:51 PM

BLC golf green “hair pig” - rotting pseudobulb?

2 Attachment(s)
I have had this blc for about 6 months. I repotted about 5 months ago. I don’t think I did the best job repotting. I’ve learned a lot since then. One of the pseudobulbs is now turning yellow then brown. The other two look okay. Just not sure what to do next!

My Green Pets 06-03-2020 02:23 AM

This is an emergency.

You will need to unpot the plant, and with a sterilized cutting tool, remove the rotting rhizome. I would cut up to just behind the next bulb, which looks healthy. Make sure you disinfect your blade with every cut. If you see only green tissue all the way through your cut, you're safe. Throw the browning bulb away and spray the healthy remainder with a disinfectant, or dip it in a solution of 32 parts water to 1 part bleach.

If however you cut into the rhizome and you see the browning has continued into the next bulb, you will have to keep cutting, which will leave you only with one bulb (the photo looks like 3 bulbs total).

The plant can recover with only one bulb, however it will take a couple of years and ideal conditions (namely high humidity and bright light).

Good luck.

SouthPark 06-03-2020 07:45 AM

hyena ..... also - do you have any systematic fungal treatments like agri-fos, or cleary's 3336, etc? Hard to say what the issue is here. But having some treatments in the plant medical kit can be helpful.

Maintain suitable growing temperature(s), and - whenever possible - provide gentle air-movement in the growing area if the growing area is relatively humid.

DirtyCoconuts 06-03-2020 08:17 AM

Is it mushy or still firm?

Old Catt bulbs do die and that’s okay. If it is a recent purchase it might be a back division and that could be an older bulb

I just looked at the pic again and it still has a leaf so I don’t think it is what I said

hyena 06-03-2020 01:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you so much folks. I cut away what I could see was bad. I think i need to take more roots off though. I sprayed it down with hydrogen peroxide. I don’t have the antifungals mentioned but I will look for them.

The area where I have it is semi humid and there is a ceiling fan on about half the day. I’m attempting to water culture but is there a better set up to get healthy roots growing?

I really appreciate the advice!

fishmom 06-03-2020 01:58 PM

Please don't put hydrogen peroxide on the roots of this or any other orchid. The oxidation will injure the roots. The suggested weak bleach solution would have been much safer. If the plant is still out of media, give it a good rinse, although it won't make much difference I imagine. Hopefully those good pseudobulbs will generate some new growth.

hyena 06-03-2020 03:14 PM

Oh wow, i had no idea. Miss Orchid Girl always says to use h2o2. Will rinse now. Thank you!

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Fishmom, would you suggest putting it in media now or waiting until it has new root growth? For media i have bark and LECA on hand.

SouthPark 06-03-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyena (Post 923251)
Oh wow, i had no idea. Miss Orchid Girl always says to use h2o2. Will rinse now. Thank you!

That's the problem I think hyena. M.O.G. (for short) has probably advanced or progressed in her ways and knowledge these days ----- maybe ----- and hopefully has stopped or kicked the habit of using hydrogen peroxide on everything. Unfortunately she's left some material online (on the internet) that is going to be hard to remove ----- relating to hydrogen peroxide and fusarium, which have probably driven lots and lots of orchid growers onto the wrong path.

I'm pretty sure M.O.G. is a good sort at heart though. But just got to be wary of some internet information. Really must come to OrchidBoard to double-check with enough people, or read lots and lots more - just in case.

fishmom 06-03-2020 05:00 PM

The best tactic is to put it in the growing situation that you intend for it to end up in. You mentioned water culture--is that your end goal? If so, that is what you should stick with now. If your intended medium is bark, or LECA, or a mix, that is what you should use. Most orchids tolerate repotting pretty well, but constantly changing mediums is not going to help your new roots to develop.

A soak with Kelpmax or another kelp-based wouldn't hurt, and then a monthly treatment. Then wait--it will all happen slowly.

hyena 06-03-2020 07:59 PM

Fishmom - thank you again for your advice. I don’t want to permanently do water culture so I will put it in LECA. I have been reading about the benefits of LECA for catts and it seems like a good choice for my environment. I am very wary of repotting too often!

Southpark that is a great point. I will have to double check the dates on or hid videos in the future!

I appreciate this board so much. Thanks again!